Flames take Adam Ollas Mattsson 175th Overall

June 28 2014 11:14AM

14-nhl-draft-logo-980

The second defender taken by the Flames in the 2014 entry draft is large Swedish defender Adam Ollas Mattsson in the 6th round. The 17-year old stands 6'4" and weighs in at 214 pounds, so he's already NHL-sized (which seems to have become a theme for the Flames day-2 activities in Philadelphia). He is described by most scouts as a smart, defensive minded-defender, although the major knock against him seems to be his skating. He doesn't appear to have any offense to his game either.

Mattsson bounced around Sweden's Junior SuperElit league and the Allsvenskan (tier below the SEL). He also played internationally for Sweden's U-18 team. As mentioned, he doesn't do much offensively so his numbers from all of those leagues aren't anything to write home about, but defenders like this aren't guys you can judge with counting numbers.

In terms of scouting, he's a guy that showed up throughout the rankings depending on what list you looked at - anywhere from the 3rd round to the 7th. He was actually the 15th ranked European skater by Central Scouting, which implies he's pretty good value at 175. That said, he'll likely have to improve his skating in order to be a useful player in the show.

#1 jeremywilhelm
June 28 2014, 12:01PM

What are the Flames lacking in the system? It certainly isn't low ceiling Dmen.

#2 coachedpotatoe
June 28 2014, 01:11PM

Another Kanzig?

#3 ChinookArch
June 28 2014, 11:38AM

I like this pick. Using a late pick for a 17 year old giant man. Good flyer.

#4 TRAV
June 28 2014, 02:19PM
coachedpotatoe wrote:

Another Kanzig?

I hope so. I really liked Kanzig in development camp . I factually think Kanzig might be that rare outlier who makes the show despite the stats which would suggest he has a low percentage chance. Time will tell but a decent late round pick I'd say.

#5 coachedpotatoe
June 28 2014, 03:11PM
TRAV wrote:

If Kanzig had been as late a draft pick as this kid not many on this site would be complaining and I'm with you he might be better than we think but only time will tell.

#6 CTibs
June 28 2014, 11:19AM

I read that he played well in the Ivan Hlinka tournament. Could potentially be a steal in the 6th round, but he's going to require about 3-4 years of development.

#7 mtgould89
June 28 2014, 11:19AM

I like this guy, kinda reminds me of Ole-Kristian Tollefsen or Kim Johnsson. Tall guy, not a huge scorer but a pillar on the back end. Good pick, and I'm even higher on the next one they did. He might take a while, but think of how long it took guys in Detroit to make it.

#8 dotfras
June 28 2014, 11:20AM

Second defender - we took Hickey in the 3rd.

Good value pick here. Adds some size to the Blueline. Can't really complain and just have to hope he pans out.

#9 Howie Meeker
June 28 2014, 11:22AM

Very happy with this selection and suprised he was still available this late in the draft.

#10 Victoria Flames Fan
June 28 2014, 11:25AM

Flames just took Austin Carroll. Ozzy's game has continued to improve over the past 3 seasons with the Royals scoring 34 goals last year in 70 games. Definitely a fan favourite here with good speed, hockey IQ.

Should note, he was passed over last year.

#11 Ryan Pike
June 28 2014, 11:26AM

Big.

#13 Baalzamon
June 28 2014, 11:38AM

After Bennett, this is literally the only pick the Flames made that I like. At all. I'm not too miffed about Hunter Smith either, since I've been convinced they'd take him for a couple months now (though I thought he'd go 64th).

I am shocked they didn't take Jack Glover instead of Hickey.

#14 Danglesnipecelly
June 28 2014, 11:42AM

My $0.02

My only real issue with this draft is trading the pick for Bollig but if you're good enough to play a full season on Chicago's 4th line then you're an upgrade here.

6th and 7th rounds picks are Hail Mary's anyways so who cares although I think Mattsson was a bit of a steal... I live in Vic and am a Royals fan. Carroll is a fan fav, high energy, glue type guy and who knows, maybe a late bloomer

Goalie at 34 is a bit of a stretch but again if you're going to pick one, may as well get the one you want... Obviously other GM's were thinking the same thing cus they all went right after.

Pretty happy with Smith and Hickey and obviously Bennet.

Overall grade: B-

#15 Burnward
June 28 2014, 11:59AM

There is a very good chance they come out of this Draft with the future number one center and starting goaltender.

Smith is a pick I love.

Don't really know much though. I'll go by gut happiness.

B+

#16 McRib
June 28 2014, 12:38PM

Very solid pick by the Flames, Red Line Report had Adam Mattsson ranked 55th. Nice to see another Swede in the system apparently he could easily be an NHLer someday.

#17 Victoria Flames Fan
June 28 2014, 04:25PM

Any idea why Mattson dropped so far? Last year he was projected to be a 1st rounder... see for example: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1689818-2014-nhl-mock-draft-full-first-round-projections