Ten Years Ago Today: It Was In

Ryan Pike
June 05 2014 02:00PM

Ten years ago today, Martin Gelinas appeared to have scored a goal to give Calgary a 3-2 third period lead.

Reviews of the play were indecisive, and the league really didn't have the procedural mechanisms in place then that they do now to review plays once the game had continued, so the goal didn't count. Calgary went on to lose Game 6 by a 3-2 score in double OT, and then Tampa Bay won the Stanley Cup in Game 7 at home.

Jerks.

Happy anniversary, I guess.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Now in his fourth season covering the Calgary Flames and the NHL, Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's trying to keep his head up, his stick on the ice and is giving it 110% every shift. You can also find his work at The Hockey Writers and the Wrestling Observer.
#1 BobbyO
June 05 2014, 04:51PM

We all know the puck was in....but did Gelinas not direct the puck in with his foot? It did not appear to be deflected off his leg but rather directed in.

Just wondering?

#2 EugeneV
June 06 2014, 01:44AM

I HATE Gary Bettman, with an unhealthy amount of passion.

I can live with the lockouts, or the amount of sun belt teams this little twat thinks is good for hockey or the fact that he is even alive.

HOWEVER!

I CAN NOT ACCEPT THE BIAS THIS FU^&NG LITTLE A##%OLE HAS AGAINST US, AND BY US I MEAN YOU AND ME. "CANADIANS."

As long as he is in charge he will be happy to take our money, our players, and our players children but NEVER allow a CANADIAN TEAM to actually win the CUP.

AND IT WAS IIIIIINNNNNNNNN....!!!!!!

Gary Bettman, I hope you trip off a curb and are run over by a bus. or 3.

Sincerely, Eugene (from Vulcan)

#3 Bob Cob
June 06 2014, 08:52AM

It wasn't in, Gary Bettman had nothing to do with it, he isn't against Canadian teams winning the cup. They called it no goal on the ice and there needs to be conclusive video evidence to overturn it.

As an Oiler fan I may be biased, I still call the 1989 season the season that never happened.

I don't troll often but when I do I like to do it at Flamesnation.

Get bent my friends!

#4 Veggie Dog
June 05 2014, 02:33PM

This still stings so bad

#5 Baalzamon
June 05 2014, 02:41PM

I was watching that video like "Who the heck is #7?" I just couldn't for the life of me remember.

Turns out, Chuck Kobasew.

Oh, and the "not" goal brought back some memories too, I guess.

#6 BurningSensation
June 05 2014, 03:26PM

I am now having the required PTSD flashbacks and can be found on the floor, curled in the fetal position, sobbing, and looking for my happy place

#7 dotfras
June 05 2014, 02:06PM

Brutal.

#8 mattyc
June 05 2014, 02:21PM

goddamn, you monsters... I was at that game. Why we gotta dig this up?!

#9 schevvy
June 05 2014, 02:21PM

A fun thing to think about: how much different would the last 10 years had been if the goal counted?

Also, it was in

#10 SeanCharles
June 05 2014, 03:48PM

The truly saddest thing about the whole thing is that team was a band of brothers and they battled and deserved to win!

When Ference won with Boston and said it was great to win but wished all the '04 Flames were there with him it told me how close those guys were.

Ference being traded was the beginning of the end for that brotherhood and bond within the dressing room. After that everything fell apart..

Then you see St. Louis last night yelling at Dominic Moore for taking the puck from him in the neutral zone and you know that team and likely even that TB team that 'won' wasn't as close as the '04 Flames were.

I'm sad those boys didnt have the cherry on top to their unlikely run and cement that team in history forever.

But at the end of the day most people will agree, Flames fan or not, we should have won the cup that year.

We WILL win another cup at some point in my lifetime, with all the talented prospects we are/soon will be developing, so I will hang on to that because you know what the hockey gods owe all us 10+ year Flames fans a cup, there is little doubt about that!!! I can't wait!

GO FLAMES GO!

#11 mattyc
June 05 2014, 06:04PM

@SeanCharles

St. Louis and Moore are apparently good friends (and extends back from when they both played for the Bolts)

Other than that i agree with you...

#12 The Last Big Bear
June 05 2014, 03:28PM

Shirts off...

... for Kiprusoff.

June 05 2014, 03:32PM

I prefer to remember the rest of the run, which was the best time to be a Flames fan in the last 20+ years. If you want a antidote to watching the above video, search for Gelinas OT goal vs DET.

#14 Peter
June 05 2014, 04:31PM
The Last Big Bear wrote:

Shirts off...

... for Kiprusoff.

~ Flames in six... ~

#15 Veggie Dog
June 05 2014, 05:14PM

@BobbyO

The only thing that matters is a "distinct kicking motion". Goals are "inadvertently" deflected or redirected in all the time.

#16 kittensandcookies
June 05 2014, 05:17PM

I was at the game and GOD DAMMIT IT WAS IN!

#17 SoCalFlamesFan
June 05 2014, 08:19PM

They say time heals all hurts. Liars. That stills hurts.

#18 CTibs
June 05 2014, 10:31PM

I still believe to this day that the Flames would've won in 04-05. Fate struck us down again.

#19 Monaertchi
June 06 2014, 12:10PM

I remember seeing a computer generated 3D image that showed that it was NOT in.

I choose to believe that. We didn't win. But it was a helluva ride.

#20 Jeff In Lethbridge
June 06 2014, 07:16AM

travesty

#21 the-wolf
June 06 2014, 08:14AM

I may get roasted for this, but I prefer to think of it as "not in." It's easier to cope believing the video evidence was not conclusive and that the gap of white ice that's seen is due to the camera angle because the pucks was in the air.

I find that easier to accept than trying to cope with the travesty of justice it would be had it gone in.

I've always wondered though. Pinhole cameras have been around for 20 years easily. Even wireless cameras existed before 10 years ago. So why does the NHL not have a series of pinhole cameras embedded into the posts, corner posts and the cross bar. Dollar-wise, it's chump change for the NHL to outfit every net with say 11 cameras that look directly across the goal line at each other and straight down at the goal line as well. Fitted properly, the abuse the posts take shouldn't be an issue either. No more weird angles or the puck being in the air screwing things up, just a clear, definitive look across the goal line.

#22 piscera.infada
June 06 2014, 12:18PM
Monaertchi wrote:

I remember seeing a computer generated 3D image that showed that it was NOT in.

I choose to believe that. We didn't win. But it was a helluva ride.

I saw that too. They took into account the camera angles as well as the height of the puck off the ice. The one thing they couldn't account for was the angle of the puck though.

IMO, the puck was in. Upon a correct replay though, I don't see any way they would have overturned a no-goal called on the ice. In hindsight, if the Flames players started celebrating it could have gone the other way, or (at the very least) there would have been a lengthy review.

Too bad. But that run was magical. Here's to another one in the near future.