Flames Sign Jonas Hiller

July 01 2014 11:52AM

The Flames were very vocal about the need to add another NHL goalie heading into free agency and they managed to get one of the better options in former Duck Jonas Hiller.

His per year money is somewhat high at $4.5M/year, but the two year term makes that number moot. The dollars somewhat suggest that Hiller will at least be battling Ramo for the starters job, but for the Flames it's very much a case of "let the best man win" when it comes to their net situation.

The relatively high AAV also gets the Flames a little closer to the cap floor, which is also good news.

Another decent addition from Treliving.

#1 jason knapp
July 01 2014, 12:00PM

Great moves still lots to spend.

#2 bookofloob
July 01 2014, 12:05PM

Nothing not to like about this

#3 Derzie
July 01 2014, 12:12PM

Another good one. Day one of the Draft and today. 2 out of 3 is a win.

#4 Howie Meeker
July 01 2014, 12:21PM

So now BT lets bring on a couple D-men via UFA or Trade and the table will be set.

#5 UVB
July 01 2014, 12:21PM

Good for Sven to have a countryman in the room. Two great signings today.

#6 mtgould89
July 01 2014, 12:23PM

Good move! Happier about this than the Iggy to Colorado deal.

#7 CTibs
July 01 2014, 12:27PM

You definitely can't hate what Treliving is doing here. Keep two above average goalies on short term, and wait for Gilles and Ortio to come up through the system. This also opens up the possibility of flipping Ramo at trade deadline if need be and not being completely screwed in net.

#8 RKD
July 01 2014, 12:36PM

This is a pretty good signing, Hiller may benefit from a change of scenery. I don't know if he is the starter but he will certainly push Ramo. Jonas has 4 25+ win seasons and 5 20+ win seasons, he was a top notch goalie at one time.

#9 Alt
July 01 2014, 12:38PM

Great pick-up in Hiller,and a pleasant surprise. Never thought he,d want to play here!

#10 dudeguybro
July 01 2014, 12:39PM

Totally agree, the term makes this a fine deal considering CGY's situation. With these two signings there's more depth to remain competitive without handcuffing us in the future.

What does everybody think about one of R. Diaz, J. McBain, A. Benoit, or even J. Pitkanen to round out the day?

#11 Alt
July 01 2014, 12:44PM

Looks like Colorado is going "all-in" before ROR bolts.

#12 dudeguybro
July 01 2014, 12:51PM

@Alt

Plus Iggy back in the Western Conference so more chances to see him.

Interesting he considers Colorado that close to contention.

#13 TheoForever
July 01 2014, 01:01PM

I like the term and the player, good move.

#14 RexLibris
July 01 2014, 01:10PM

A lot of players still available.

Goc, Niskanen, Winnik, Moss, Grabovski, Kulemin, Vrbata.

The Flames could still add some nice pieces at a fair rate.

#15 RexLibris
July 01 2014, 01:12PM

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC · 23s Hearing CAL closing in on Deryk Engelland

hehehe

#16 Baalzamon
July 01 2014, 01:18PM
RexLibris wrote:

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC · 23s Hearing CAL closing in on Deryk Engelland

hehehe

Prophetic, because they just signed him.

3 years 2.9 per.

Wellp. Can't win them all, I suppose.

#17 Baalzamon
July 01 2014, 01:20PM

This Hiller contract is PERFECT. Short term, mid-high cap hit. Plus, he's a relatively reliable keeper with above-average talent. Perfect for a Ramo partner and/or Ortio/Gillies stopgap.

There is nothing to dislike about this one.

#18 DragonFlame
July 01 2014, 01:21PM

@Baalzamon

Kind of a head-shaker with Engelland. I realize the Flames have to spend some money and all, but holy crap, that's a lot for him. Hopefully, he is a teacher of sorts.

#19 JumpJet
July 01 2014, 01:21PM

I've always liked Hiller's goalie pads. Much more creative than all white.

#20 TheoForever
July 01 2014, 01:22PM
Baalzamon wrote:

Prophetic, because they just signed him.

3 years 2.9 per.

Wellp. Can't win them all, I suppose.

One of the worst overpayments of the day!

#21 Baalzamon
July 01 2014, 01:29PM
JumpJet wrote:

I've always liked Hiller's goalie pads. Much more creative than all white.

I liked it when he wore that all-black mask. I mean, I'm all for getting super-creative with the masks (like Ramo's "The Raven") but every once in a while it's nice to see something sleek and plain.

That'll make a shooter think twice.

#22 dudeguybro
July 01 2014, 01:34PM

Damn, I kind of suspected Engelland for the D target as a right handed face puncher. That third year is cleary the worst but still not Orpik/Fayne level bad in the long run.

Bring on Connack Hanifylington!

#23 beloch
July 01 2014, 01:46PM

Jonas Hiller has been right around league average for the last few seasons, but he was elite from 07/08 to 09/10. By a strange coincidence, Hiller and Ramo were both 0.911 last season. Of course, the Ducks are probably an easier team to play for.

Hiller is good enough to light a fire under Ramo's butt, but I think Ramo has it in him to be the starter. Hiller's contract is a bit pricey for a backup, but he's better than the average backup. I like the two year term, since it doesn't put the NHL completely out of sight for Ortio.

#24 Johnnydapunk
July 01 2014, 07:08PM

I will state first I'm a lifelong Oiler fan but I'm not here to be a dick as it's not my style.

I just wanted to say congratulations on getting Hiller, I think he was one of the best goalies available and you got him for fair money and nice term to see how he pans out. You got a workhorse for a goalie and what I also guess is that it must say something good about the Flames organisation as I am super sure that Hiller had a chat with Berra about Calgary, and he must have said a lot of good things about the team.

I really hope he turns into Kipper 2.0 for your team.

You did well and I also am excited to see what Airxess will do making another Flames goalie mask (Swiss company that makes one of the best masks in the league and have some of the nicest designs out there, they did Berra's mask)

If I can see another ultra intense violent battle of Alberta where both the Flames and Oil are successful and take the title of the most feared province/state for teams to visit away from California, I will be a happy man.

Best of luck in the silly season of signings and trades :-)

#25 TheoForever
July 01 2014, 08:32PM

@Johnnydapunk

Nice comments. MacT has done some good moves today. Oilers should be better this time around.

#26 McRib
July 01 2014, 09:11PM

@Baalzamon

Another plus of this signing is that Hiller plays with a right handed glove, so is our shinny new draft pick Mason McDonald. Hopefully he can mentor him and give him some advice for a right handed catcher at the NHL level.

#27 etownman
July 02 2014, 10:02AM
beloch wrote:

Keep in mind, Fasth turned Hiller into a backup while with the Ducks.