Five things: Talkin' 'bout centers

Ryan Lambert
July 17 2014 09:00AM

1. Got me thinking...

Earlier this week there was a bit of debate about whether Jonathan Toews was worth $10.5 million annually, when no other player in the league (besides Patrick Kane, but that's almost beside the point) makes more than about $9.5 million.

It led me to wonder about Toews' place in the game, and just how good of a center he really is. From where I sit, Toews is a little overrated; people calling him the best player in the world are raving lunatics. He might not even be a top-3 center in the league, because it's hard to argue he's better than Sid Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, or Anze Kopitar at the very minimum. Not that I necessarily would, but you might even include Ryan Getzlaf or Claude Giroux in the mix, because I'd argue the production just isn't there for Toews on a season-by-season basis.

The usage chart from this season illustrates why: Toews plays the toughest competition, but his zone starts are by far the easiest, and his points still lag somewhat. All things being equal, I'm pretty comfortable saying that he's third- or fourth-best at his position in the league. That being said, given where the league is going these days, I'm also comfortable saying that's worth a $10.5 million cap hit for a contract that expires when he's 34.

But because I would put at least one and maybe two centers from the Flames' division ahead of Toews in terms of overall quality, that led me to think about what a war the Pacific is going to be down the middle this season, and where everyone ranks.

Obviously rosters aren't set yet, but from where I sit the breakdown is pretty clear, and teams can be divided into three groups. Frankly, and disappointingly for Flames fans, the division is top-heavy to say the least.

2. The top tier

There are three giants in this division in terms of overall quality, and you can make a pretty reasonable argument that it's because of how good they are in the middle of the ice.

For me, San Jose has the best center depth not only in the division, but probably in the entire league (I'd say Chicago or Boston gives them a run for that money). Joe Thornton, Joe Pavelski, and Logan Couture is a trio that's been able to lay teams low for years, and while rumors that Thornton will be traded persist, we must currently operate under the impression that he's still their No. 1. Doug Wilson would be a fool to pull the trigger on such a decision, quite frankly. This is probably on par with the Penguins' old triumvirate of Crosby/Malkin/Jordan Staal in terms of out-and-out dominance. Andrew Desjardins is their No. 4 and he's pretty good for that role.

Next is Los Angeles, third mostly on the strength of Kopitar being a world-beater and Jeff Carter being very, very good as well. Jarret Stoll is a fine No. 3 if that's all you're using him for — and he took more draws for the Kings than anyone but Kopitar last season, so that's more or less it — and having Mike Richards as your No. 4, expensive and potentially declining already though he may be, is something remarkable.

Anaheim, and the gap between the two got a whole lot slimmer this year. Ryan Getzlaf backed up by Ryan Kesler is nothing to joke about, and Andrew Cogliano or Rickard Rakell could make for a decent No. 3. What's interesting, though, is the center depth the Ducks are actually losing at the bottom of the roster. Swapping out Nick Bonino for Ryan Kesler was a great idea, but Anaheim shed Saku Koivu and Mathieu Perreault, and still haven't brought back Dan Winnik, if they want to. But when your top two is that good, it might not matter as much.

3. The middle tier

Next is Vancouver, which has admittedly taken a step back. There's a huge gap between the top three and everyone else, obviously. They still have Henrik Sedin, who's better than anyone any of the teams below them have down the middle, and the rest doesn't look so great. This is a team turning out its pockets after the first line comes off the ice. Bonino, Shawn Matthias, and Brad Richardson are their four highest-paid centers at this point, with Kesler and Mike Santorelli leaving town. That's a pitiful bottom two, and one has to imagine a decent-sized step back for Bonino in terms of production this season as well. Having Sedin, though, really really papers over some serious concerns. Not-having John Tortorella does as well.

Calgary is, I think, fifth in the division here. They arguably have the worst No. 1 in the division in Matt Stajan — because let's face it, they're never giving a no-scoring possession driver like Mikael Backlund top-line minutes — and after Backlund, who I think is great, the bottom falls out. It's Sean Monahan, who will need to take a huge leap in development to be an actual difference-maker instead of one propped up by shooting percentage, and a mishmash of mediocre fourth-line options. Take your pick from Joe Colborne, Lance Bouma, or maybe Paul Byron if they actually use him as a center. None make a particularly big difference, or spruce up the general low quality.

4. The bottom tier

We're left, then, with two teams in Arizona and Edmonton which have disastrous situations in the middle.

Edmonton is better, obviously, simply because they have Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who is developing into a high-end player. Makes the team better when he's on the ice, has a high skill threshold, that sort of thing. The rest, though, is a well-publicized calamity. The other three centers they have on the roster right now aren't pretty: Boyd Gordon (who actually took more faceoffs than anyone in Edmonton last season), Mark Arcobello, and Anton Lander. I have a lot of time for Arcobello, but he gets softer minutes than you'd like your No. 2 guy getting, especially when you're trying to shield your No. 1 from tough zone starts. Anton Lander, meanwhile, doesn't belong in the NHL. Maybe they keep Leon Draisaitl for that.

And so that leaves us with Arizona. Their No. 1 is either Martin Hanzal or Sam Gagner. Which is bad. Their No. 2 or 3, depending on how they use Gagner, is Antoine Vermette. Their No. 4 is Joe Vitale. All of this is to say that the Coyotes are going to get dominated up the middle against just about everyone in the Pacific. You almost have to feel bad about it.

5. What should we take from this?

Not that entire seasons are won and lost in these trenches, specifically, but center quality usually tells you a lot about team quality. This is not the order in which the teams will finish — because Calgary's headed right to the toilet, for one thing — but it is illuminating nonetheless. I went into this with no real preconceived notions about where I would rank everyone except of course for the obvious "well this group is good/bad."

I was surprised to find how little I liked Arizona, and surprised at how high I was on Calgary. Anyway that's it. Bye.

686dfac3780611cb7acad6ce5166c6c1
#1 Goon
July 17 2014, 09:17AM

I think you do Vancouver a bit of a disservice - they've got a number of promising young centres who will likely fill the 3C role ahead of Matthias or Richardson (who are both good options as 4Cs, but a bit out of their depth on the third line) - Linden Vey was brought in from LA, can play centre, and scored at above a point-a-game clip in the AHL last year, and one of either Bo Horvat or Brendan Gaunce will likely make the jump from Junior to the NHL this fall as well. Bonino's still a drop down from Kesler as the 2C, but their bottom 6 centre depth is actually pretty good.

#2 Citizen David
July 17 2014, 10:57AM
Purple Hazze wrote:

I don't know if I'd call Toews overrated. He's won 2 Stanley cups and 2 gold medals since 2010! People love a winner, despite all the counting stats, in the end winning is all that matters. I know I'd take him over Malkin on my team any day.

Winning has nothing to do with rating how good a player is in a team sport. Especially hockey, soccer, and baseball. Toews plays 20-25 mins a night out of 60. He has two cups and two gold medals cause those teams where stacked. Toews is a fantastic player, but if he was on a team like Calgary, Edmonton, Florida etc... He wouldn't have any cups.

#3 Monaertchi Gaudnett
July 17 2014, 11:10AM

@piscera.infada

I have to agree with Lambs on this point about Toews:

"people calling him the best player in the world are raving lunatics"

If you have to think about whether or not you choose Crosby over Toews, you need to review how to think.

#4 Derzie
July 17 2014, 09:42AM

"Middle Tier" for Calgary? (snicker) Kind of how everyone thinks they are 'middle class' when in reality, most are at the bottom. Potential of the prospects aside, this year, we are firmly 'Bottom Tier'.

#5 BurningSensation
July 17 2014, 12:59PM
Jeff Lebowski wrote:

I want to know if people think there are plays Crosby can make that Toews can't. What are they?

So in keeping consistent constraints and isolating for individual attributes - what plays - irrespective of team mate quality - does Crosby make that Toews can't?

Again, I've not stated one is better than the other (although I have my own preference)

I'm curious, other than after the fact performance metrics, what can a person explain the differences as being?

If one has certainty - it should be a relatively easy exercise.

I'd say it's largely indisputable that Crosby is both faster than Toews, and a better playmaker. Is it something as specific as 'Crosby's backhand passes are better' or he has 'better hockey IQ', whatever, Crosby makes more plays. I think they both have shots that are a shade below 'elite' (Malkin and Kane both have harder/better one-timers), and both play a 'two-way' game.

Toews is a much better 'shadow' than Crosby is, but that has more to do with Crosby being a better puck possession player.

I have no problem saying Crosby is the better player than Towes.

I also have no problem saying that Malkin is also a better player than Towes.

#6 Purple Hazze
July 17 2014, 10:33AM

#7 piscera.infada
July 17 2014, 11:03AM
Citizen David wrote:

How many cups would Chicago have won if he wasn't there? Also, how many cups has Crosby ("the best player in the world") won playing on a equally stacked team, in a lesser conference. I understand what you're saying, but it seems like you're splitting hairs. Toews is integral to the success of the Blackhawks, ergo Toews is an ultra-successful hockey payer. Yes, Kane, Hossa, Seabrook, and Keith aid because it's a team game, and they're probably the deepest team in the league. That doesn't mean we should discount Toews' contributions because he puts up ~70 points a season as opposed to 100. I take him over just about anyone in the league except Crosby, and even that's something I need to think about.

#8 Citizen David
July 17 2014, 11:11AM
piscera.infada wrote:

I'm not discounting it. He's a huge part of the Blackhawks. But the rest of the loaded team is more integral to the success.

#9 Jeff Lebowski
July 17 2014, 11:54AM
Baalzamon wrote:
Not that I disagree, but I'm curious to know why Crosby slam dunk over Toews?

Harder minutes, worse linemates, more points.

Or do you think Chris Kunitz is even half the player Marian Hossa is?

If one has certainty - it should be a relatively easy exercise.

#10 BurningSensation
July 17 2014, 12:51PM
Derzie wrote:

Elway/Marino? On the Nation? They are all great and no one is better. Just different.

That sir, is incorrect.

The answer is Marino. The answer is always, Dan Marino.

#11 prendrefeu
July 17 2014, 11:50AM

2016 Stanley Cup Champions.

It's happening.

#12 Clyde
July 17 2014, 02:28PM
BurningSensation wrote:

That sir, is incorrect.

The answer is Marino. The answer is always, Dan Marino.

Championships over stats. Elway all the way. No Troy Aikman but still pretty good

#13 Jeff Lebowski
July 17 2014, 11:25AM
Monaertchi Gaudnett wrote:

I have to agree with Lambs on this point about Toews:

"people calling him the best player in the world are raving lunatics"

Not that I disagree, but I'm curious to know why Crosby slam dunk over Toews?

I don't mean empty descriptions like more talented. What precisely makes a player better?

Is there a belief that more points necessarily means more talent? So, he shoots harder, skates faster?

Again, I'm not disagreeing with assessment. Just how does one articulate the actual differences between good players?

Saying someone has better Corsi is also meaningless. What makes that so? There is no skill called Corsi that kids in timbit hockey learn. What skills/ability do people reference? So describe or articulate it. Which is easy if you understand.

#14 Baalzamon
July 17 2014, 11:31AM

@Jeff Lebowski

Not that I disagree, but I'm curious to know why Crosby slam dunk over Toews?

Harder minutes, worse linemates, more points.

Or do you think Chris Kunitz is even half the player Marian Hossa is?

#15 Monaertchi Gaudnett
July 17 2014, 12:09PM
piscera.infada wrote:

There's always this...

Awesome. 5 seconds should completely define the careers of both players (but not the other 2 in the clip).

#16 Baalzamon
July 17 2014, 02:54PM

@Stan

Actually we have. Do you remember what happened in the Chicago/Detroit series in the lockout year? Toews got very frustrated with his inability to score against Zetterberg.

#17 piscera.infada
July 17 2014, 11:18AM
Monaertchi Gaudnett wrote:

I have to agree with Lambs on this point about Toews:

"people calling him the best player in the world are raving lunatics"

Never once did I say "Toews is the best player in the league". Sometimes though, building a team is about more than "the best player". I think Toews offers you more in terms of elite play in a variety of circumstances than Crosby does. Don't get me wrong, Crosby is a great player and I'd take him on my team any day. Between the two though, I'm always going to take the player that backchecks harder, plays better in his own zone, can play the pk, and still puts up ~70 points consistently - and that's completely discounting his ability to put an entire team on his back when it matters the most and go completely beast-mode. Just me though.

#18 palooza
July 17 2014, 11:41AM

A Toews is better than Crosby debate on Flames Nation? Rational thought is clearly slipping in this comment section.

#19 Monaertchi Gaudnett
July 17 2014, 12:13PM

@piscera.infada

Fresh and clean. Not smokey at all.

#20 RKD
July 17 2014, 01:25PM

Yes, the Flames have a long way to go in terms of building depth at the center ice position. I'm surprised you considered Matt Stajan as the No. 1 center on this team. I would think Backlund/Monahan as the No. 1 and No. 2 center with Stajan slotting in as No. 3. Sure Toews has two Stanley Cup but by no means is he worth $10.5 million, neither is Kane. They are stars and excellent players but they don't even touch Crosby's level. Crosby dominates the league and he's only the fifth highest paid player in the league. If I was an NHL GM and knew the ask from Kane and Toews was $12 million I would have thrown out an offer sheet for one or both.

#21 ?
July 17 2014, 04:01PM

@Stan

The reason why they lost that series against Philidelphia is because Fleury couldn't make a damn save. He's also the reason why they almost lost the series against NYI a year later, until Tomas Vokoun had to come in in game 5 and save the day.

#22 clyde
July 17 2014, 06:47PM
SmellOfVictory wrote:

From a layfan's point of view, Crosby's brain just seems to be at a higher level. Really, the difference between a poor NHL mind and an elite one is how frequently they do the right thing, or an exceptional thing.

Even Eric Nystrom, career 4th liner, had moments where he looked like a legitimate offensive talent (hence "Nyzerman"), but they were few and far between. Crosby's hockey brain is at the level where he is regularly, the vast majority of the time (except when he's mad) out-thinking his opponents. Toews is up there, but just not as often. I don't think there's anything specific that it could be attributed to, beyond "He thinks the game at a higher level."

I'd also say Crosby's stronger (his lower body strength is positively epic), which helps in a lot of situations.

I believe Crosby is the best right now but Toews is very good. I would say he has Sid beat on how well he plays in his own zone and how well he can lean on an opponent.

July 17 2014, 09:43AM

I have little doubt this is the year the team gives Backlund the most ice time amongst Flames C's. From Jan on last year he was consistently playing around 20 minutes a night.

#24 dc
July 17 2014, 10:28AM

I dont get why backlund wouldnt be our #1 C even if he wont score (which i dont think will be the case anymore). Hes passed staj imo and monahan will still be a tier below.

#25 Veggie Dog
July 17 2014, 10:36AM
Derzie wrote:

5th out of 7 with dreadful Edmonton and Phoenix at 6 and 7 seems unreasonable?

Does it really matter? 1 to 3 are great, then 4 to 7 fall off a cliff. No surprises.

#26 McRib
July 17 2014, 10:57AM

Troy G. Ward named head coach of the Vancouver Giants, clearly didn't want to leave the Vancouver area, wonder if he chose to not re-sign... I think Ryan Huska is an upgrade regardless, just wonder if the Flames parted ways with Ward before the WHL decision was made. I think the WHL is a great test for Ward who's been mainly a coach of professional Hockey. I think his lack of Junior experience (outside of two years at Dubuque back when USHL was a below average league) might have hurt him with keeping the AHL job, considering how young our AHL squad will be next year.

#27 piscera.infada
July 17 2014, 11:40AM
Baalzamon wrote:
Not that I disagree, but I'm curious to know why Crosby slam dunk over Toews?

Harder minutes, worse linemates, more points.

Or do you think Chris Kunitz is even half the player Marian Hossa is?

Not to nit-pick but doesn't Toews consistently play the hardest QoC in the league?

#28 MontanaMan
July 17 2014, 12:13PM

At first glance, Crosby is the clear #1 centre in the game. Skill and scoring titles are undisputable. Toews brings the "intangibles" of the game and in my opinion is the best in the game presently at leadership and getting the best out of his teammates. I don't sense this type of leadership out of Crosby.

As far as comparing Toews to Kopitar and Malkin, that's a sick joke. Once again, the comparison is in goals and assists but doesn't take into account what Toews brings to a team and what he brings out in every player.

#29 Jeff In Lethbridge
July 17 2014, 02:08PM

Well, this thread took a left turn.

is it fair to say that getting grumpy in the off season is a sign of withdrawal and addiction?

people are just gonna have to embrace summer, and enjoy it until training camp...

#30 Jeff Lebowski
July 17 2014, 03:53PM
Jeff In Lethbridge wrote:

I got grumpy but my blood sugar was indeed low. Oh and I can barely contain my excitement for Flames future.

Bollig plays with JG and Monahan. Hudler gets dealt at some point, depends on Sven, Granlund, Max or someone currently under radar.

Or something else entirely. The kids are pushing through! How can you not be excited?!?

#31 RKD
July 17 2014, 07:34PM
Stan wrote:

As far as the Toews vs. Crosby debate goes, here are my two cents:

As far as offensive ability goes, I don't think there is much debate that Crosby is the better player. Toews point production simply doesn't stack up. Point Crosby.

As far as defensive play goes, I think that Toews is the better player. I assume this could be debated, but IMO Toews has the edge over Crosby in this aspect. He is so effective on the back check and shadowing his mark. It's clinical. Crosby is good as well, just not quite as good IMO. Point Toews.

It's the intangibles/other category in which I believe Toews has the biggest advantage. He is indisputably a better leader. A proven winner, he's won it all at every level. Consistently. Just look at the flyers/pens playoff series from a couple years ago. Crosby got completely unraveled and started acting like a huge baby on AND off the ice. Swiping players gloves away when they are going to pick them up, starting brawls and then skating away, constantly bitching to the refs. He got completely unraveled and I believe that's a massive reason that they lost that series. You would never see that happen to Toews. There is also the fact that Crosby appears to be much more injury prone then Toews. Some might argue that that's not a real thing, but the facts of the matter are that Toews has remained healthy and able to play consistently for the majority of the past 5 seasons whereas Crosby has not . He is constantly injured.

And it's for the above reasons that I would pick Toews over Crosby (although I'd love to have either on my team).

You would never see that happen to Toews. Do you even watch hockey? With the Hawks down 3-1 in the series against the Red Wings, Toews completely unraveled. He started hacking sticks, slashing guys and eventually had to be consoled by Brent Seabrook while stewing in the penalty box. You don't really see that from Kane, when he gets called out, he elevates big time. Even losing to the Kings, he put up 8 points towards the end of the series. Crosby wears his emotions on his sleeve a lot more, but trust me Toews can unravel just as well.

#32 Baalzamon
July 17 2014, 09:53AM

@Goon

Gaunce's results are worse than Max Reinhart's were at the same age. I'll be shocked if he's in the NHL before 2016.

As for Horvat... he probably needs another year in junior.

On the other hand, the Canucks' center depth really is that bad, so you never know.

#33 Jeff In Lethbridge
July 17 2014, 11:15AM
Citizen David wrote:

When you say,

>>"Winning has nothing to do with rating a player"

I would suggest that for those writing the cheque, winning may have a lot to do with rating the player.

#34 Derzie
July 17 2014, 12:13PM

#35 Stan
July 17 2014, 02:38PM

As far as the Toews vs. Crosby debate goes, here are my two cents:

#36 Frank Miron
July 17 2014, 02:43PM
prendrefeu wrote:

2016 Stanley Cup Champions.

It's happening.

I'd like a piece of what you're smoking, Prendre Feu !!! ;-)

#37 MonsterPod
July 17 2014, 04:12PM

The Toews/Crosby debate could go on forever. I'm just glad they both play for Team Canada.

Matt Stajan is not our #1 center.

SJ has the best centers rivalled by Chicago and Boston?

Chicago has Toews... then they were rotating Hanzus and Shaw in the 2 spot. Hanzus is gone and they scooped B. Richards. I don't see how this group rivals SJ.

Boston? Krejci is really good, but he's not elite. Bergeron is obviously awesome followed by... Soderburg/Kelly? Yes if they still had Seguin.

Just my opinion, but I would put the Kings a close second behind the Sharks. Stoll is a monster on draws, hits, outstanding on PK -- almost a perfect #3. Mike Richards is their #4 who would likely be #1 in Calgary. He had a bad season last year, but I've always liked him and I'm not writing him off yet.

Penguins: Crosby, Malkin, Sutter -- Colorado: Duschene, MacKinnon, O'Reilly -- Detroit: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss/Helm -- Flyers: Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Lecavalier.

Toews is a superstar, but Chicago is not really deep at center.

#38 Brent G.
July 17 2014, 08:26PM

You know what I can't figure out? How has no team, especially the flames, taken a flyer on Del Zotto?

I get he's slipped but I still think he improves our blue line...

#39 A rye morning
July 17 2014, 09:11AM

Stop being so positive.

#40 Shredder
July 17 2014, 09:20AM

I was under the impression that Cogliano has shifted to the wing in Anaheim. He was never a great centreman, but on the wing he's a 2/3 line winger, and uses his top-notch speed effectively. Apparently he didn't like it at first, but wouldn't move back to C if he had the chance now. That might impact your thoughts on Anaheim, as they're quite as deep as you thought, but still strong up front.

#41 Parallex
July 17 2014, 10:27AM

@Derzie

I dunno... for this division it seems like a fair determination. Of course that says more about those below us then it does about ourselves but it's all relative.

#42 McRib
July 17 2014, 11:28AM

@Monaertchi Gaudnett

I can admit that Sidney Crosby is a "more skilled player" than Jonathan Toews, but if I was going to start an NHL team and had the choice of one player to do it with Jonathan Toews would be my guy (Drew Doughty would be a close second). No disrespect to Sidney Crosby, but once again he is battling a major injury (wrist).... Jonathan Toews has won at every freaking level it is not a coincidence (Bantam, Midget, U17s, U18s, World Juniors, NHL, etc).

I also think people underestimate the fact that Jonathan Toews is 6'2" and has an unbelievable ability of maximizing frame to strip players off the puck. People say "Chicago wins championships without much size", will Jonathan Toews plays 22+ minutes a night up front so there is that, like I have said before you do need some skilled size in your the Top. 6 to win and he checks off every other box outside of skill (leadership, elevating play when it matters, big moment player, etc).

#43 Monaertchi Gaudnett
July 17 2014, 11:51AM

@Jeff Lebowski

I went to extraskater.com and compared the two players.

Crosby faced much tougher ZS%, with a bit more ice time, slightly worse QC%, and worse line mates. Obviously, The Croz crushed Toews in points in these circumstances.

For me, getting WAY MORE points in much tougher circumstances means Crosby is the better player.

It's quite interesting to factor in Getzlaf and Kopitar, even though they don't get the points Sid does.

EDIT: slightly worse QC% means slightly EASIER QC%

#44 piscera.infada
July 17 2014, 12:00PM
#45 piscera.infada
July 17 2014, 12:12PM
Monaertchi Gaudnett wrote:

Not what I'm saying; it was intended as a joke. How's the air up there on your high-horse though?

July 17 2014, 12:37PM
Jeff Lebowski wrote:

If one has certainty - it should be a relatively easy exercise.

I don't think it's so much that Crosby makes plays that Toews can't. It's more that he more consistently makes excellent offensive plays.

#47 Jeff Lebowski
July 17 2014, 01:18PM
SmellOfVictory wrote:

Exactly!

I think it is very interesting as to why?

#48 Jeff Lebowski
July 17 2014, 01:25PM
BurningSensation wrote:

I have no problem saying Crosby is the better player than Towes.

I also have no problem saying that Malkin is also a better player than Towes.

I think Crosby is quicker laterally - more explosive. His vision and ability to keep track of players he's not even looking at are superb. Anticipation.

But at the moment of truth, he stays in control and can consistently execute. Doesn't get excited and shoot it into the crest or over the net.

Gets out of his own way.

Monahan does this well too. Brodie needs to improve (all mental) for him to tap all his potential.

Just my thoughts. Could be way wrong.

#49 Avalain
July 17 2014, 01:38PM
prendrefeu wrote:

2016 Stanley Cup Champions.

It's happening.

Nah. 2019. Exactly 30 years from the last cup.

#50 piscera.infada