Help Me Help You

bookofloob
July 30 2014 01:02PM

cyoa

It's the dregs of the offseason, friends, and as you know, that means content is coming at a premium. I don't like it anymore than you do, but short of inventing a real, working time machine, there's really sweet bippy any of us can do about it.

So while I do have a lot of material stored inside the cavernous depths of this dull, otherwise empty brain, I thought it would be a good idea to give you, the listless, dead inside jerks who read our work and we love so much an opportunity to get their say. Because what good are we if we don't have you around to read our words (actually incredibly good, you'll just have to believe me on that one)

Which is what I'm doing today. Give me suggestions in the comments section for what you would like to see me write about as we try to fill the time during the periods of the day where we would otherwise have to be doing work, and I'll see what I can do about it.

Ground Rules

1. I accept bribes
  2. The limitations here are that the topic should be something along the lines of a thing I lknow about and can write. For while I'm willing to do research on any given topic, I'm just not very good at it.
  3. It should probably be at least marginally related to your Calgary Flames.
  4. I don't have the ability to get naked pictures of Joni Ortio (yet)
  5. I can probably get you Bearcat Murray nudes
  6. As far as what I choose to write about based on your suggestions, I'll pick what I would consider the most interesting, unless there seems to be a theme that stands out as pretty popular among the whole lot of you. Hell, if there's a lot of interesting ideas, I'll probably tackle a couple. OR MORE.
  7. (probably not more)
  8. as far as #fancystats go, please remember that this is not my field of expertise. I suppose I could convince say a Kent or a Justin to take a look at something you have a burning desire to read about, or I can attempt to tackle it myself, but please keep rule #2 in mind.

I think that's it. Please remember rule #1. Otherwise, get your thinking caps on and let me totally twist and ruin your incredibly good idea.

And...go.

01f20cee6c900dc633fe87a421630f41
The Book of Loob is the Nation's resident expert in flim-flammery and twaddle. An unabashed Flames fan, when BoL is not intellectually bankrupting Flames Nation, he can be seen rooting for Blair Jones, often to excess, at Book of Loob. Follow him on twitter here.
#51 cunning_linguist
July 30 2014, 10:16PM

I would be very interested in a series of articles that speculate / extrapolate our prospects into what they might become at the peak of their careers.

Also love anything that deals with wild speculation on what the Flames lineup looks like in the coming years as we rebuild, especially how one might envision our prospects slotting in.

Some content on the outlook for our CHL/NCAA prospects for the coming year (ie: what the Frontenacs would look like for Bennett this year vs last year, how it might influence his role/usage/stats).

Finally, a look into other NHL teams that have successfully developed high draft picks (in the same vein as Monahan, Baertschi, Bennett etc..) with regards to minutes, usage, ZS% and how and in what way those young players started to show progression and development outside of just counting stats.

Any of these would be awesome!

#52 Cccsberg
July 30 2014, 10:32PM
KH44 wrote:

"Third point can't agree. There IS only 1 SC per year, but the road to the cup is 16 wins, one of the most gruelling, longest, physically taxing and difficult tasks in all major sports. Football, 3 games? Soccer? Basketball...OK, similar. Baseball, much easier. Even so its a relatively small sample size but certainly much more than 1 SC per year."

So does that mean you think there are more than 1 Stanley Cups given out every year? Or are you changing your thinking and saying series wins suggest how good a player is? Individual playoff games won? Games participated in?

1SC, obviously, but within that there are many opportunities to demonstrate your value.

#53 KiLLKiND
July 30 2014, 10:46PM

you could potentially write about other decently high draft picks for 2015 other than jack and connor because I just donèt see the Flames being able to grab one of them without luck from the lottery

#54 i_miss_mogilny
July 31 2014, 12:43AM

You should re-read and respond to all the Kent Wilson articles on the Sutters http://flamesnation.ca/2011/1/4/the-rise-and-fall-of-darryl-sutter-part-1 and then make Kent watch clips of him raising the Stanley Cup.

#55 Rockmorton65
July 31 2014, 07:10AM

@i_miss_mogilny

Darryl Sutter - great coach, horrible GM.

#56 MonsterPod
July 31 2014, 07:11AM
i_miss_mogilny wrote:

Twice.

#57 coachedpotatoe
July 31 2014, 07:13AM

You could do an expose on the real reason why WW hates Rhino?

#58 coachedpotatoe
July 31 2014, 07:34AM

Actually what I would like to see is a series of articles from the writers on their philosophy of the game and the strategies they would employ to make this organization a competitive organization in 2-3 years.

#59 MontanaMan
July 31 2014, 07:58AM

Might be interesting to know where the FlamesNation writers get their "expertise" and "insight" on the game. Maybe each of the writers could provide a brief summary of their hockey history (Junior, Pro, Europe) or their background in the game that they base their articles.

#60 Monaertchi Gaudnett
July 31 2014, 08:18AM
Cccsberg wrote:

By demonstrate value, you mean possession?

#61 Baalzamon
July 31 2014, 08:33AM

@Cccsberg

Even though the Flames lost in '04, I guarantee you Iginla contributed more to that run than Brandon Bollig did to the Blackhawks' cup the other year. But your valuation punishes Iginla simply because his team (which barely made the playoffs) happened to lose in game 7 against the President's Trophy runners-up, and rewards Bollig for playing the fewest minutes per game on the NHL's best team.

I don't know man. Any measure by which Bollig is considered irrefutably superior to Jarome Iginla is one to openly scoff at in my book.

#62 paul
July 31 2014, 09:02AM

What about a discussion on Scouting for Dummies, anonymous tips from scouts on how to best scout players. Allowing us that only get a chance to briefly see prospects evaluate properly their potential?

#63 the-wolf
July 31 2014, 09:49AM

I understand, but your case isn't really built on anything but supposition and assumptions.

I wrote about the "search for winners" at Puck Daddy back in the day. The tendency to assume winners win because of some special attribute (beyond talent and opportunity of course) is a mix of the fundamental attribution error and the just world hypothesis. These natural biases make us think that things that happen to people are necessarily representative of "who they are" (rather than a subject of circumstances) and that people naturally get what they deserve. Neither of these things are consistently or universally true. Nobody controls everything all the time and the world isn't always a fair place.

In addition, you can't correlate Stanley cup wins with anything. Only one cup is won per year. Even if you go back 20+ years, it's a pathetically small sample size. The other issue is: only one team each season can possibly win the cup, which necessarily excludes 95% of the league, many of whom are obviously great players.

On top of that, even the best players are only on the ice for a third of every game, give or take. Skaters don't coach the team, they can't stop the puck, they don't set the lines, they can't call penalties and they don't determine how many guys on the roster are injured.

I get why you are skeptical of talking about the BPA at the draft (since outside of a few guys we're never really sure who that is at the time), but you aren't going to find something by trying to look at something as rare and as team dependent as a cup win. We need more info from the player at or before he's drafted to determine what is predictive of future success, which we'd then try to correlate with his results at the NHL level. Trying to map cup wins some years down the road to a draft season or two would be utterly fruitless.

I don't disagree with anything you've written here at all Kent, but how about someone like Nieuwendyk with 3 Cups on 3 different teams? Or Patrick Roy? Certain guys just seem to be winners, regardless of who they're playing for (within reason and I'll grant you that the goalie position is special - not just in hockey, but in all of sports). In other words, while you can't per se hold it against a guy who never won a Cup, there does seem to be a level of credit that has to go towards players who have won multiple Cups. I'd be interested in hearing your take on that.

#64 25cent
July 31 2014, 10:44AM

Blair Jones piece. Recap through the years, highs and lows, highlights of how damn fast he could skate, and of course many many pics of his game face.

#65 cccsberg
July 31 2014, 05:45PM
Baalzamon wrote:

Agree in that comparison, and any in a straight-up SC/no SC comparison. I was thinking more in terms of a comparison of otherwise essentially comparable players (vis a vis points) one with a SC, one without. How about Iginla vs Lecavalier? Not sure of the points comparison, but both team leaders and exceptional LT players.

Also think multiple SCs on different teams is saying something, as another poster has mentioned re: Nieuwendyk. Or how about another, Gretzky (Oilers only SCs) versus Messier (SCs: Oilers w/Gretzky, Oilers wo/Gretzky, NYR)?