January 16 2015 03:42PM
We're deep into the second half of the season, gang, and now that the Calgary Flames are still in it, fans and media alike are watching the other games wondering "Will the Flames make the playoffs?"
So let's keep an eye on games with playoff implications in the wild, wooly Western Conference!
With apologies to Arizona and Edmonton, who are no longer relevant to anyone but Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel.
Three contests in the National Hockey League have our attention tonight:
VANCOUVER at CAROLINA [5pm MT; Sportsnet]
- The Canucks are two points up on Calgary for third place in the Pacific and are burning off the first of two games in hand they have. Carolina's 10 games below .500 and should be easy pickings for Vancouver.
WINNIPEG at CHICAGO [6:30pm MT; TSN3]
- The Jets are five points up on Calgary and sit in the first wildcard spot. This game will give Calgary two games in hand on them. The Blackhawks are 9 points up on Calgary right now. This game favours the Blackhawks, and a Chicago win would give the Flames a bit of help in their chase of the Jets.
NEW JERSEY at ANAHEIM [8pm MT]
- Anaheim is the best team in the West and leading the Pacific Division. They are 13 points up on Calgary. More than likely the Flames won't catch them.
- In the Dub: Brandon (Klimchuk, Roy) hosts Lethbridge! Victoria (Carroll) visits Red Deer!
- In the NCAA: Boston University (Hickey) hosts Boston College! Colgate (Harrison) visits Rensselaer!
- In the OHL: Oshawa (Smith) faces Kitchener!
- In the Q: Charlottetown (McDonald) faces Sherbrooke!
The Baby Flames are off tonight.