Pavel Karnaukhov could be a late-round steal for the Flames

Ryan Pike
January 19 2016 08:00AM

I've always found it a bit strange that the Calgary Flames share a building with the Calgary Hitmen yet so rarely draft players from that club. Then again, consider that the Flames' past experiences with Hitmen players as prospects were basically just 2000 picks Brent Krahn and Wade Davis, and minor-league free agent signing Brent Dodginghorse.

When the Flames selected Belarusian import forward Pavel Karnaukhov in the fifth round of the 2015 Draft, he was just the third Hitmen player they ever drafted. The bar is admittedly set pretty low, but the hope is that he'll be the best Hitmen player they've ever drafted, too.

Originally from Minsk, Belarus, Karnaukhov (pronounced Karna-OOH-hove) came over to North America as a 17-year-old after being chosen by the Hitmen in the 2014 CHL Import Draft. Prior to that, he had played with Krasnaya Armiya Moskva, the junior team affiliated with CSKA Moscow in Russia's MHL.

"Probably speed," said Karnaukhov about the biggest difference between Russia and the WHL. "Here it's small rink. That's why here is so fast game. But I like this game."

Karnaukhov ended up adjusting to the smaller North American ice and more physical game rather well in his rookie season. He put up 20 goals and 42 points and ended up as the 119th-ranked North American skater by the NHL's Central Scouting Service. The Flames selected him at 136th overall.

For his part, Karnaukhov was excited to be drafted by the team that shares a building (and ownership) with the Hitmen, noting that the Flames were his first choice of destination at the draft.

"To be here in one city, same family, one rink, sorta close, I think is better for me," said Karnaukhov.

Hitmen head coach Mark French has seen a lot of improvement out of Karnaukhov in just a short time-span. Listed in his draft year as 6'3" and 194 pounds, he's added muscle to his frame and is now listed as 210 pounds - and it shows on the ice.

"When we saw him last year he was a bit of a gangly tall kid and this year he's a big powerful man," said French. "So I think the biggest thing that I've seen, a difference, is how hard he worked over the summer and now he's a big man, and I think that really helped him in Flames camp."

Those who saw a lot of Karnaukhov's games in his draft year saw some progression as he adjusted to the WHL game, but for the most part he alternated between steady performances where he was mistake-free but didn't stand out and nights where he made a difference. He's a much more consistent difference-maker this season.

"He's probably one of our most competitive kids," said French. "He loves competing. For me, his skating is much stronger which allows him to stay on the puck. He's got a real good change of pace now where he can separate from defenders so I would agree instead of just playing a steady game there's times in games now where he's standing out much more."

French praised his focus when he was injured, noting he kept himself in great shape while he was sidelined with an upper-body injury throughout much of November. Karnaukhov's commitment to fitness probably contributed to him jumping right back in without rust when he returned: he had points in the first three games after his return and worked himself into first-line duty.

Karnaukhov has 19 points in 28 games so far this season, but doesn't seem satisfied with his performance. When asked what he needs to improve, Karnaukhov answered without hesitation: "Everything."

"He is a sponge," said French. "He takes every tidbit of knowledge that he can get from anybody on our coaching staff, anybody from the Flames staff. He's very passionate about trying to get better. And I think ultimately that's what's going to propel him to be a pretty solid pro."

While 2015 pick Oliver Kylington has already gone pro with the Stockton Heat, and 1996-born picks Andrew Mangiapane and Rasmus Andersson are eligible to join him next season, Karnaukhov is a 1997 birthday. That means he's guaranteed to be returning to the WHL for at least one more season. Based on how much he's improved in roughly a year and a half in North America, the Hitmen (and the Flames, most likely) are excited to see how good he can get at the major-junior level.

"You add another year under his belt, I think he's going to be a dominant player as a 19-year-old," said French.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Ryan Pike has covered the Calgary Flames since 2010. He's Senior Contributing Editor at FlamesNation, a Senior Writer covering the Flames and the NHL Draft for The Hockey Writers, and a correspondent for the Fischler Report. He's just trying to capture the spirit of the thing.
#1 FlamesFan1489
January 19 2016, 08:09AM

I didn't realize he was one of the younger draftees from last year. Watching as many Hitmen games as I do each year, he has impressed for his age. I think he takes the same next step next year that Fazleev did this year, and maybe even better. He's got potential to be a pretty decent 3rd liner in the NHL in about 4-5 years, depending on how he progresses in the AHL as well.

#2 FeyWest
January 19 2016, 08:20AM

It's good to hear we may have a nice size/skill combination and plays a consistent game which I think we've been missing in our bottom-6. We have consistent and a little skill but not a combination of size/skill/consistency. Looking forward to seeing how he develops.

#3 Kevin R
January 19 2016, 09:15AM

Ryan, why am I hearing on different sites that it's looking like Jankowski doesn't want to sign with the Flames? Is there any truth to this & if so, perhaps we should be using him to season up a package for a player like Drouin or to move one of our bad contracts being carried into next year?

#4 Burnward
January 19 2016, 09:30AM

@Kevin R

Probably because people like to yap.

Stauffer had Treliving on last week and BT said the Flames staff have been working with him all year in Province. They're planning and expect him to sign as soon as his season ends.

#5 The Real Slim Brodie
January 19 2016, 09:50AM

I remember the same things were said about Johnny hockey and he signed..I wouldn't worry about him not signing. Plus we get a 2nd round pick if he doesn't. .I hope he does I've always thought he would thrive under our system

#6 wot96
January 19 2016, 10:06AM

@The Real Slim Brodie

And who can't use another 2nd round draft pick?

#7 Parallex
January 19 2016, 10:07AM

@The Real Slim Brodie

Well... the situations are a bit different (Gaudreau was a junior). But ultimately it the same thing, just a bunch of nervous nellies.

Arnold was in the same boat as Gaudreau and nobody fretted but then Arnold didn't have the draft pedigree.

#8 Kevin R
January 19 2016, 10:10AM
Burnward wrote:

Probably because people like to yap.

Yeah. Just because Janko was Feaster/Weisbrod controversial pick & the fact we are looking pretty solid down the middle with Bennett & Monahan, I thought maybe there was some legs to this. We'll probably hear the same crap when Hickey gets to that point. I'm hoping he opts to go play in Red Deer next year & we can ink him to that ELC.

Deep down, I have had to endure the ridicule & banter on Janko for so long, I really do want to see what this kid is all about in a Flames uni. If he shows well, that may give Flames some options.

#9 suba steve
January 19 2016, 10:39AM
Kevin R wrote:

Yeah, I agree, how stupid are those Flame fans who are actively cheering against the development of this player?

#10 Burnward
January 19 2016, 10:41AM

@suba steve

And the kid is actually pretty good. From what I've seen, anyway.

#11 chillout
January 19 2016, 11:53AM

Also I think Janko had 3 points the other night. 2 goals and an assist.

#12 aflame13
January 19 2016, 02:00PM

Way to highjack a thread guys. Haha just kidding, the Jankowski talk is always interesting.

#13 cberg
January 19 2016, 04:05PM
Parallex wrote:

Arnold actually had a much better draft pedigree than Gaudreau. As to Jankowski I believe the Flames have always treated him well (just the opposite of many posters here) and I too expect him to sign as soon as his season ends.

#14 cberg
January 19 2016, 04:08PM

Karnaukov seems to be developing well. I have high hopes that will continue and he'll push for a spot on the Flames.