Frolik Back At Practice, Won't Play Monday

Ryan Pike
January 09 2016 02:00PM

The Calgary Flames were back on the practice ice today following a day off Friday, and an interesting figure was back with them: Michael Frolik.

Frolik has been on the shelf since suffering a shoulder injury in Calgary's December 15 win over Nashville.

Frolik's potential return later this week will probably mean a roster move of some kind. The Flames are presently at 23 active players on their roster, but one of those is Jiri Hudler, who's been out with a groin injury since Calgary's January 2 win over Colorado. Hudler can be placed on injured reserve retroactive to his injury basically at any point, so it's probably a lock that is the move that happens later this week.

But when Hudler returns from injury, the Flames have a decision to make regarding which of their 15 healthy NHL forwards will get a trip down to the American Hockey League.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Ryan Pike has covered the Calgary Flames since 2010. He's Senior Contributing Editor at FlamesNation, a Senior Writer covering the Flames and the NHL Draft for The Hockey Writers, and a correspondent for the Fischler Report. He's just trying to capture the spirit of the thing.
Avatar
#1 MattyFranchise
January 09 2016, 02:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
28
props

This is joyous news.

Avatar
#2 coachedpotatoe
January 09 2016, 02:06PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
32
props

This is good news and now the speculation is who will be sent down and where he will play. I would have no problem with Johnny/Monny/Frolik, Ferland/Bennett/Jooris, Granlund/Backs/Jones, and Bouma/Stajan/Colborne.

Avatar
#3 MattyFranchise
January 09 2016, 02:08PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
27
props
coachedpotatoe wrote:

This is good news and now the speculation is who will be sent down and where he will play. I would have no problem with Johnny/Monny/Frolik, Ferland/Bennett/Jooris, Granlund/Backs/Jones, and Bouma/Stajan/Colborne.

Please let it be Bollig that gets sent down.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Avatar
#4 ultrathinzigzags
January 09 2016, 02:48PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
11
props

Thankyou Jesus

Avatar
#5 Flames Fan in Edmonchuck
January 09 2016, 03:00PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
14
props

We missed this guy more than I would have thought...

Avatar
#6 FlamesRule
January 09 2016, 03:15PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
8
props

@MattyFranchise

Bye bye Raymond

Avatar
#7 coachedpotatoe
January 09 2016, 03:27PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
23
props

Here are the lines from today: Flames changed up their forward lines during the skate. Here are the lines run on Saturday: Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Micheal Ferland, Sam Bennett - Markus Granlund - Josh Jooris, Lance Bouma - Mikael Backlund - David Jones, and Joe Colborne/Mason Raymond - Matt Stajan - Brandon Bollig

The only problem with these lines is having Bollig playing.

Avatar
#8 ultrathinzigzags
January 09 2016, 03:28PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Props
24
props

In other league news reports of Bernier's demise have been greatly exaggerated. who ever was popping off about Bernier being finished has a big steamy plate of crow to eat. He has been lights out since his return from the AHL.

We so should have jumped on that

Avatar
#9 ultrathinzigzags
January 09 2016, 03:29PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
7
props
coachedpotatoe wrote:

Here are the lines from today: Flames changed up their forward lines during the skate. Here are the lines run on Saturday: Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Micheal Ferland, Sam Bennett - Markus Granlund - Josh Jooris, Lance Bouma - Mikael Backlund - David Jones, and Joe Colborne/Mason Raymond - Matt Stajan - Brandon Bollig

The only problem with these lines is having Bollig playing.

We should be as thankful we went 2-1 during the Colborne top line winger experiment as we were for Hiller going 2-0 during Ramo's sick spell

Avatar
#10 ultrathinzigzags
January 09 2016, 03:31PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
6
props
ultrathinzigzags wrote:

In other league news reports of Bernier's demise have been greatly exaggerated. who ever was popping off about Bernier being finished has a big steamy plate of crow to eat. He has been lights out since his return from the AHL.

We so should have jumped on that

6-2-2 to be exact

Avatar
#11 FeyWest
January 09 2016, 04:01PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
8
props

@ultrathinzigzags

Who knows, I wouldn't have been surprised if Tre was exploring that avenue but at what cost? If I were the leafs I wouldn't be trading him except for a really good package, I don't think anyone really expected him to be a "flash in the pan" per se, however, my personal opinion was and has always been I don't want him. No particular reason, there was tons of hype which drove his price up, maybe it's cause I'm excited for Ortio but mostly my favourite in Gillies.

That's not to say I wouldn't want Tre checking out Bernier given earlier showings of scary tending

Avatar
#12 RKD
January 09 2016, 05:08PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
10
props

Yes, we need this guy and his offensive prowess back asap.

Avatar
#13 Baalzamon
January 09 2016, 05:18PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
14
props

@coachedpotatoe

The only problem with these lines is having Bollig playing.

And having Bennett on the wing.

Avatar
#14 KingQuong
January 09 2016, 06:21PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
9
props

Im watching the Canadiens game with my family and everybody got excited as a player was sprung for a breakaway I looked at the tv saw that it was Byron and laughed. (he still cant finish)

Avatar
#15 ultrathinzigzags
January 09 2016, 07:00PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
10
props
KingQuong wrote:

Im watching the Canadiens game with my family and everybody got excited as a player was sprung for a breakaway I looked at the tv saw that it was Byron and laughed. (he still cant finish)

Probably looked up saw it was Byron and than looked back to what you were doing, knowing you didn't need to see the shot hey? lol

Avatar
#16 flames2015
January 09 2016, 07:29PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
8
props
ultrathinzigzags wrote:

In other league news reports of Bernier's demise have been greatly exaggerated. who ever was popping off about Bernier being finished has a big steamy plate of crow to eat. He has been lights out since his return from the AHL.

We so should have jumped on that

Current game vs the sharks, 0.778 GA. 6 goals on 27 shots, midway through 3rd period. Yes, he's had a few good games and 2 shutouts since he's been back. But if you actually look at the scores of those games, he's still pretty horrid. He's good one game and horrible the next. He's won a few games based on the leafs ability to actually play some defense.

Avatar
#17 ultrathinzigzags
January 09 2016, 08:15PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
5
props
flames2015 wrote:

Current game vs the sharks, 0.778 GA. 6 goals on 27 shots, midway through 3rd period. Yes, he's had a few good games and 2 shutouts since he's been back. But if you actually look at the scores of those games, he's still pretty horrid. He's good one game and horrible the next. He's won a few games based on the leafs ability to actually play some defense.

Lol having a bad game tonight is he? Ah it happens. Getting points in 8 of 10 gsmes is nothing to sneeze at regardless of tonight's performance

Avatar
#18 ultrathinzigzags
January 09 2016, 08:16PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
4
props

@ultrathinzigzags

And more impressive when you think he's back stopping the maple laughs

Avatar
#19 hulkingloooooob
January 09 2016, 08:50PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
26
props
KingQuong wrote:

Im watching the Canadiens game with my family and everybody got excited as a player was sprung for a breakaway I looked at the tv saw that it was Byron and laughed. (he still cant finish)

guy's got 7 goals this year already. not bad and better then hamelton, hudler, backlund, bennet, stajan, brodie, and need i say 7 times wideman's goal total this year. i'd call that some finish...we messed up big time on that one. plus the 3 headed goalie monster dealt us a potentially lethal blow for the first 15 games of the year or so....

Avatar
#20 Jake the Snail
January 09 2016, 09:14PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
5
props
ultrathinzigzags wrote:

In other league news reports of Bernier's demise have been greatly exaggerated. who ever was popping off about Bernier being finished has a big steamy plate of crow to eat. He has been lights out since his return from the AHL.

We so should have jumped on that

Not so fast! 7 goals, 31 saves tonight 0.774 as San Jose 7-0 over Leafs.

Avatar
#21 350 lb Woman
January 09 2016, 09:26PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
1
props
MattyFranchise wrote:

Please let it be Bollig that gets sent down.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Why you 'heff to be mean?

Avatar
#22 supra steve
January 09 2016, 09:41PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
4
props
hulkingloooooob wrote:

guy's got 7 goals this year already. not bad and better then hamelton, hudler, backlund, bennet, stajan, brodie, and need i say 7 times wideman's goal total this year. i'd call that some finish...we messed up big time on that one. plus the 3 headed goalie monster dealt us a potentially lethal blow for the first 15 games of the year or so....

Yes, we know, worst thing that ever happened at FN.

Avatar
#23 carlizzle
January 09 2016, 10:03PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

A craptastic night. Shutout wins for Arizona and SJ and the canucks and kings are tied in their games.

Avatar
#24 King Quong
January 09 2016, 10:05PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
3
props
hulkingloooooob wrote:

guy's got 7 goals this year already. not bad and better then hamelton, hudler, backlund, bennet, stajan, brodie, and need i say 7 times wideman's goal total this year. i'd call that some finish...we messed up big time on that one. plus the 3 headed goalie monster dealt us a potentially lethal blow for the first 15 games of the year or so....

Still can't bury or finish a break away to save his life. And that's all I meant by it.

Avatar
#25 Jake the Snail
January 09 2016, 10:24PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
12
props

Ferland will start at RW with Johnny and Mony against the Sharks! Hattrick for Ferland?

Avatar
#26 flames2015
January 10 2016, 12:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
7
props
King Quong wrote:

Still can't bury or finish a break away to save his life. And that's all I meant by it.

He may have missed tonights, but he has 3 SHG this season. 2 of which of which were breakaways, and the first one was against the Flames. Not gonna argue the chances he had last year and could never put em away. But tides have shifted. We should have kept him and waived someone else but he's never healthy or come close to playing a full season.

Avatar
#27 The Sultan
January 10 2016, 04:06AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
9
props

Even if Byron can't finish 100% of the time, I'd still rather have him on the team creating those scoring chances and driving the play, generating that momentum. I also wanted to point out that of Byron's 7 goals, 3 of them have been shorthanded and he's buried a couple of those breakaways. The Flames, comparatively as a team have a grand total of 1 shorthanded goal so far this year. He also got to play outdoors in the Winter Classic, where he scored by the way, so good for him and what a great experience that must have been.

Avatar
#28 King Quong
January 10 2016, 07:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
7
props

I never said we shouldn't have kept him just made a comment on his low percentage on breakaways. Personally I liked him and it was hard watching him have such an emotional good bye. Guys like him are inspiring to me as I'm a short guy who would've loved to play in the NHL. Regardless I just thought it was funny that I knew he wasn't going to score as soon as I saw it was him.

Avatar
#29 Nik
January 10 2016, 09:22AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
5
props
The Sultan wrote:

Even if Byron can't finish 100% of the time, I'd still rather have him on the team creating those scoring chances and driving the play, generating that momentum. I also wanted to point out that of Byron's 7 goals, 3 of them have been shorthanded and he's buried a couple of those breakaways. The Flames, comparatively as a team have a grand total of 1 shorthanded goal so far this year. He also got to play outdoors in the Winter Classic, where he scored by the way, so good for him and what a great experience that must have been.

Valid points...but you need to move on....

Avatar
#30 Jrock
January 10 2016, 09:26AM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Props
3
props

I know there's a lot of love for Byron on this site but if he was so good why was he put on waivers to me this is just another case of flames fans overvaluing a player just because he's with the organization ask your self if he was an oiler not a flame at the time he was put on waivers would u of claimed him

Avatar
#31 Red Rider
January 10 2016, 09:46AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
4
props

Jezebel, I see Sven Baertschi just scored his 5th goal in 6 games.

Avatar
#32 Burnward
January 10 2016, 11:27AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props
ultrathinzigzags wrote:

And more impressive when you think he's back stopping the maple laughs

They're now referred to as "The Fightin' Babcocks".

Comments are closed for this article.