December 30 2011 08:29PM
Final Score - 4-3 OTL
December 30 2011 04:56PM
For those who stop by the live chat or want to follow along at a friends house or bar, the Charlie Simmer drinking game:
- drink whenever he starts a sentence with "again..." if it's the first time he's mentioned the issue that night.
- drink whenever he says "keep(ing) their feet moving".
- drink whenever he notes the team must "keep it simple"
- drink when he mentions the key to the attack or the power play is getting pucks/bodies to the net
- have a shot whenever items 2-4 appear together in the same sentence
- drink whenever Charlie mixes metaphors or messes up a common colloquialism
December 30 2011 10:42AM
I stumbled on some worthwhile Flamess material to share this morning before the game tonight
First up, we have a Jay Feaster interview courtesy Timo Seppa of Hockey Prospectus. Timo attended the Flames/Islanders game last night and managed to ask the Flames GM about the team's recent success, as well as Calgary's main challenges and the acquisition of Blake Comeau.
December 29 2011 07:48PM
Final Score: 3-1L
December 29 2011 04:27PM
The Islanders are one of a number of NHL clubs stuck in a sort of endless drought brought on by a lackluster budget and even more lackluster management. They are one of the prime examples of how a "rebuild" can go awry and result in perpetual misery rather than a renewal and return to success. Of course, that may be more an indictment of the people behind the wheel than the strategy itself.
The Flames are on a roll right now, although Im personally rather dubious of it's legitimacy. For most, the issue is one of pragmatics over principle however - so if a lucky streak will help the club get into the playoffs this season, so be it. Just as long as Calgary's decision makers can delineate between some short-term fortune and the long-term needs of the franchise, of course.