January 01 2012 01:48PM
Just a quick edition of FGD today with New Years festivities kind of getting all in the way. The Calgary Flames play their final game of the season against the Nashville Predators today, hoping to even the season series with them (4 pm, Sportsnet Flames and Sportsnet 960). The Flames are hoping to snap a two game skid and a three game period of fairly uninspired play.
December 31 2011 01:44PM
Well it’s the game we’ve all been waiting for, the showdown for top spot in Group B and the bye in the medal round. Or at least it was supposed to be. Canada held up their part of the rivalry agreement, but apparently someone forgot to deliver the memo to the U.S.
Instead, the New Years Eve game will mean nothing to the Canadians and has the makings of about as much excitement as Canada’s previous three games. That’s right; instead of the mighty obstacle the U.S. was pegged to be from the start, they are now nothing more than a stepping stone. Game time is 8:00 pm EST / 6:00 MST
Nation World HQ
December 30 2011 08:42PM
For a third straight game, the Calgary Flames were noticeably controlled by an opponent with an inferior record. On Friday night in Ottawa, they staked themselves to a 3-0 first period lead that was not in line with the way they played. Even with that lead, nothing changed, and that allowed the Senators to claw back and force overtime, eventually using career goal #400 from Daniel Alfredsson to skate to a well earned 4-3 victory.
December 30 2011 08:29PM
Final Score - 4-3 OTL
December 30 2011 04:56PM
For those who stop by the live chat or want to follow along at a friends house or bar, the Charlie Simmer drinking game:
- drink whenever he starts a sentence with "again..." if it's the first time he's mentioned the issue that night.
- drink whenever he says "keep(ing) their feet moving".
- drink whenever he notes the team must "keep it simple"
- drink when he mentions the key to the attack or the power play is getting pucks/bodies to the net
- have a shot whenever items 2-4 appear together in the same sentence
- drink whenever Charlie mixes metaphors or messes up a common colloquialism