Cam Charron did this over at LeafsNation and I figure it makes for a worthwhile exercise here as well. Although we will continue to profile probable Flames targets in detail leading up to the draft, it still makes sense to survey the lay of the land as well.
The recent NN consensus list built from various sources including Bob McKenzie, ISS and Redline Report is perhaps the most comprehensive meta-draft list around right now.
Here’s how things fall out around the 11-15 range:
12. F Radek Faksa 6’2 183 L Kitchener Rangers
13. F Sebastian Collberg 6’0 180 R Frölunda
14. D Olli Määttä 6’2 198 L London Knights
15. F Zemgus Girgensons 6’1 182 L Dubuque Fighting Saints
16. D Hamphus Lindholm 6’2 180 L Rogle
17. D Derrick Pouliot 5’11 192 L Portland Winterhawks
The split between forwards and defenders is 50/50. Just missing the cut were Pontus Aberg (F) and Matt Finn (D).
What this suggests is, unless there is an unsual run of one position or the other, the Flames will likely have an equal amount of equitably rated forwards and defensemen to choose from next week. We have already profiled some of these options here, including Zemgus Girgensons, Sebastian Collberg and Radek Faksa.
Expect more profiles of guys like Lindholm, Pouliot, Aberg and Maatta over the next week and half.