Amidst the snow and sleet of today’s blustery conditions, the Calgary Flames brought some light and warmth, in the form of their rookie camp roster and schedules.
Yes, hockey is almost here.
The club today announced the 29 players that will represent the Flames in Penticton for the Young Stars Classic, as well as in the traditional one-game exhibition with the U of C Dinos men’s team.
Emile Poirier and Tyler Wotherspoon won’t be playing due to injury – they’re both recovering from shoulder surgery, I believe.
- #37 Joni Ortio – Technically not an entry-level player, but eligible because he hasn’t played a lot of North American games.
- #70 Matt Mancina – A try-out. Back-up goalie for the Guelph Storm.
- #72 Mason McDonald – Second round pick this year. The probable starting netminder for the Charlottetown Islanders. Tall.
- #50 Patrick Sieloff – Second-year pro who played 2 games last year. So he’s basically a rookie. Hasn’t played very much hockey in last year and a half.
- #55 John Ramage – Second-year pro. Didn’t do much in the AHL last year, will be looking to have better camp.
- #61 Brett Kulak – First-year pro after strong tenure with the Vancouver Giants. He impressed in short stint with the Abbotsford Heat last season.
- #67 Ryan Culkin – First-year pro after splitting last year between the Quebec Remparts and Drummondville Voltigeurs.
- #73 Keegan Kanzig – Towering Flames prospect. Stuck around camp until late last season to work with Flames coaches and trainers. He’s in incredible shape.
- #75 Carl Neill – A try-out. Big 18-year-old plays with awesomely-named Sherbrooke Phoenix in the Q.
- #80 Jason Gedig – A try-out. Just finished up four years with Ohio State University. He’s big.
- #84 Eric Roy – Likely headed back to Brandon, Roy’s got good offensive skill but isn’t amazing in own zone.
- #85 Jason Fram – A try-out. Assist machine for the Spokane Chiefs. Just 19.
- #45 David Wolf – Coming over from Europe. He’s big and mean, but hasn’t had to deal with travel or almost-NHL-ready talent.
- #46 Bill Arnold – First-year pro. Played a game in NHL last year after strong NCAA stint.
- #47 Brandon Magee – A try-out. Small, speedy, plays with Carroll & Kanzig in Victoria.
- #48 Bryce van Brabant – First-year pro. Big guy. Looked okay in late-season NHL stint.
- #51 Kenny Agostino – First-year pro. Came over from Penguins in Iginla trade.
- #52 Morgan Klimchuk – Strong two-way junior player. Played a bit in Abbotsford, looked fine.
- #53 Johnny Gaudreau – Never heard of him. Apparently he’s good or something.
- #60 Markus Granlund – Second-year pro. Had strong season with Abbotsford as a rookie.
- #62 Austin Carroll – Late-round pick from Victoria. He’s big.
- #63 Sam Bennett – Drafted 4th overall in June. Good, but 180 pounds.
- #64 Garnet Hathaway – A try-out. Signed to an AHL deal with the Baby Flames. Decent college player.
- #65 Turner Elson – Second-year pro. Workhorse, but doesn’t have NHL talent.
- #68 Pavel Padakin – A try-out. Signed with KHL team in Ukraine but arena burnt down. Plays with Hitmen.
- #71 Hunter Smith – Chosen with the pick they got for Reto Berra. He’s gigantic.
- #79 Michael Ferland – Second-year pro. Knee injury derailed last season after a strong start.
- #86 Josh Jooris – Second-year pro. Bottom-six fixture on Heat, but probably lacks much upside.
- #89 Brendan Bell – A try-out. Captained the Ottawa 67s.
Games! Lots of games!
- On Friday the Flames kids play the Winnipeg Jet prospects at 5pm MT in Penticton
- On Saturday the Flames play the Edmonton Oilers prospects at 8:30pm MT in Penticton
- On Monday the Flames play the Vancouver Canucks prospects at 6:30pm MT in Penticton
- And next Wednesday (the 17th), the Flames play the U of C Dinos at 7pm MT at Father David Bauer Arena at the University of Calgary