So, the Calgary Flames continue to make roster moves and tinker as the team barrels head-long towards their collision with the Anaheim Ducks tomorrow night at the Honda Center and following that, the All-Star Break.
Here’s the gist of what’s happening right now.
Today, the Flames made four moves:
- D Ladislav Smid has been placed on the IR.
- G Karri Ramo has been activated from the IR.
- F Drew Shore has been assigned to Adirondack (AHL).
- D Tyler Wotherspoon has been recalled from Adirondack (AHL).
As such, Drew Shore will be joining Emile Poirier as the Adirondack Flames’ representatives at Monday’s AHL All-Star Classic. His departure (and scratching the last two games) was theorized on Twitter by Canadian Press’ Darren Haynes as keeping him waiver-exempt so the Flames could keep three goalies due to Joni Ortio’s stellar play. This appears to be what happened.
As for Smid? He’s reportedly injured again, though I cannot recall how it happened. Wotherspoon has earned positive reviews on the farm, so he gets a shot. I suspect Diaz slots back in against Anaheim and Wotherspoon gets into games after the All-Star Break. He’ll wear #26.
As for Calgary? Here’s how their active roster looks right now:
- Goalies Jonas Hiller, Karri Ramo and Joni Ortio
- Defensemen Kris Russell, Mark Giordano, Dennis Wideman, T.J. Brodie, Tyler Wotherspoon, Deryk Engelland and Raphael Diaz
- Forwards Joe Colborne, Mikael Backlund, Johnny Gaudreau, Lance Bouma, Matt Stajan, David Jones, Mason Raymond, Sean Monahan, Jiri Hudler, Brandon Bollig, Paul Byron, Markus Granlund and Josh Jooris.
That’s three goalies, seven defenders and 13 forwards – for a full 23-man roster.
Smid joins Curtis Glencross on the IR. Sam Bennett remains on non-roster injury.