The Calgary Flames made a couple roster moves today as they continue to trim down their camp numbers as the season approaches.
The club announced earlier today that defender Dustin Stevenson, in camp with an AHL contract, has been assigned to that league’s Stockton Heat. Mason McDonald has also been sent home, as he’ll return to the QMJHL’s Charlottetown Islanders to kick off their season.
Roster numbers and an injury update after the jump!
The roster moves trim things back to 47 bodies in camp: 4 goalies, 17 defensemen and 26 forwards.
- The four goalies are Hiller, Ramo, Ortio and Gillies. They’ll keep two to start the season.
- The 17 defenders include four injury/hurt bodies (see below) and 13 healthy bodies. The healthy players vying for opening-night spots are Andersson, Engelland, Giordano, Hamilton, Kanzig, Kulak, Kylington, Morrison, Russell, Sieloff, Wideman, Wilson and Wotherspoon.
- The 26 forwards are all more or less healthy. There are 14 opening-night spots. In camp are Agostino, Arnold, Backlund, Bennett, Bollig, Bouma, Byron, Colborne, Elson, Ferland, Frolik, Gaudreau, Granlund, Grant, Hathaway, Hudler, Jones, Jooris, Klimchuk, Monahan, Poirier, Raymond, Riley, Shore, Stajan and van Brabant.
- D Ladislav Smid is recovering from neck surgery and is not expected to play in the pre-season. Presumably he’ll be fully cleared in the next couple weeks, but since he’s not yet cleared for contact he’s not doing full practices right now.
- D Ryan Culkin suffered a shoulder injury in Penticton and is expected to be out 6-8 weeks from the time of the injury.
- D T.J. Brodie suffered a broken right hand in the pre-season opener against Edmonton and is expected to miss between 3-6 weeks from the time of injury.
- G Jon Gillies has been skating, but has yet to suit up for a pre-season game. He was under the concussion protocol after a collision with a Dinos player on September 16.
- F Mikael Backlund missed the on-ice component of practice earlier this week, but participated in full practice today (per the Sun’s Randy Sportak).
- D Jakub Nakladal skated today in a yellow caution jersey after taking a tumble against the Colorado Avalanche two nights ago (again per Randy Sportak).
- F Bill Arnold may or may not play tonight. He missed last night due to some…dental issues.
Bill Arnold update: Was supposed to play but at a.m. skate, Giordano’s stick came up, broke his 2 front teeth, had to have two root canals.
— Darren Haynes (@DarrenWHaynes) September 26, 2015
Presuming that Smid, Culkin and Brodie won’t be ready to start the regular season, the Flames have 44 bodies in camp and 21 cuts left to make. The Stockton Heat begin their training camp on Monday, so expect more cuts on that date.