The Calgary Flames scored themselves a hockey operations coup a couple summers ago when they recruited Brad Pascall into the fold as an assistant general manager.
Arguably most popularly known prior to that hiring as Cassie Campbell-Pascall’s spouse, Pascall brought with him a decent hockey-playing resume and an absolutely massive Rolodex of connections that he accrued over a few decades in the national men’s team portfolio of Hockey Canada.
After just two short seasons, Pascall’s fingerprints are already all over the Flames organization and undoubtedly will play a part in the hiring of the next head coach and his staff.
RECENT FLAMES HIRES
Since Brad Pascall was hired as an AGM, here are the individuals recruited by the Flames:
- Ryan Huska, head coach in Adirondack/Stockton (coached for Canada at the 2011 & 2012 World Juniors)
- Scott Gouthro, goalie coach in Adirondack/Stockton (coached for Canada at the 2011 Ivan Hlinkas and 2014 sledge tournament)
- Todd Gill, assistant coach in Adirondack/Stockton (coached for Canada at the 2012 Under-18s)
- Domenic Pittis, assistant coach in Stockton (played for Canada at several Spengler Cups, previously a development coach with the Flames)
- Ray Edwards, development coach (coached for Brad Treliving in the Phoenix system)
- Cail MacLean, head coach in Adriondack of the ECHL (was assistant coach in Abbotsford during Craig Conroy’s first two seasons as assistant to the GM)
Over the past two years, the Flames have almost exclusively hired people with some history with the key members of their hockey operations department.
And when you consider how many connections Pascall has in the hockey world, and given that four of the six hirings they’ve made have had direct ties to him, either his connections are really good or he’s listened to by Treliving when he makes these types of decisions.
Based on that alone, it’s probably worth examining some names that the Flames may be looking at based on their experience with Hockey Canada during Pascall’s tenure.
CURRENT NHL COACHES
- Bob Boughner – San Jose Sharks assistant, formerly a long-time Windsor Spitfires head coach and former Flame
- Kevin Dineen – Chicago Blackhawks assistant coach and long-time NHLer
- Gord Murphy – Philadelphia Flyers assistant coach and former NHLer
- Steve Spott – San Jose Sharks assistant and one of the more successful junior coaches in recent history
- Scott Walker – Vancouver Canucks player development consultant, former NHLer and OHL coach
- Trent Yawney – Anaheim Ducks assistant, former Flame
CURRENT JUNIOR COACHES
- George Burnett – Hamilton Bulldogs head coach
- Dale Hawerchuk – Barrie Colts head coach
- Don Hay – Kamloops Blazers head coach, former Flames coach
- Jody Hull – Peterborough Petes head coach
- Mike Johnston – Portland Winterhawks head coach
- Mark Lamb – Swift Current head coach, former Flame
- Trevor Letkowski – Windsor Spitfires associate coach
- Ryan McGill – Owen Sound Attack head coach, former Omaha/Quad City head coach and Flames assistant coach
- Don Nachbaur – Spokane Chiefs head coach
- Brent Sutter – Red Deer Rebels head coach, former Flames coach
- Andre Tourigny – Halifax Mooseheads head coach
- Mike Williamson – Tri-City Americans head coach, former Hitmen head coach
CURRENT EUROPEAN COACHES
- Gordie Dwyer – Medvescak Zagreb (KHL) head coach
- Yves Sarault – Lausanne HC (Switzerland) head coach
- Doug Shedden – HC Lugano (Switzerland) head coach
- Dave Cameron – unemployed, former Ottawa Senators head coach
- Mario Duhamel – Rouyn-Noranda Huskies assistant general manager
- Benoit Groulx – Syracuse Crunch head coach