The Calgary Flames’ annual development camp kicks off today, as 37 players will descend upon Winsport at Canada Olympic Park and do their damnedest to seem impressive (or at least in really good shape for early July).
While a lot of attention will be paid to the highly-drafted prospects – such as 2016 first rounder Matthew Tkachuk, 2012 first rounder Mark Jankowski and recent second rounders like Oliver Kylington, Rasmus Andersson, Mason McDonald and Hunter Smith, plus Jon Gillies – the Flames have invited 10 free agents to camp. And unlike some entrants in prior years who were invited primarily due to size and stature, the Flames’ invitees are pretty impressive this year.
Here’s a brief snapshot of who’s coming to camp, along with a video (if there was one available).
#49 BRAYDEN BURKE (LW)
- 19 years old; 5’10”, 165 pounds
- 109 points for the Lethbridge Hurricanes last season
- Led the WHL in assists
- One of the best players in junior hockey, went undrafted likely due to his size. He’s a little bit bigger than Matthew Phillips (Calgary’s sixth round pick) but he’s also a year older. He was fourth in the WHL in even strength primary points.
#78 JUSTIN DOUCET (LW)
- 19 years old; 6’5″, 220 pounds
- 7 points splitting the past season between Drummondville and Baie-Comeau of the Q
- He’s big. And his highlights on YouTube are all fights. So… yeah.
#84 THOMAS ALDWORTH (RW)
- 21 years old; 6’0″, 180 pounds
- 13 points with Quinnipiac University, won their conference title
- From Texas, but played 2014-15 with Vernon in the BCHL.
#85 JOSH HEALEY (D)
- 21 years old; 6’0″, 196 pounds
- 21 points with Ohio State, headed back for his senior year
#86 BRAD BOWLES (C)
- 20 years old; 6’2″, 175 pounds
- 102 points as captain of the Portage Terriers
- MJHL league MVP. Has an identical twin who played on the same team.
#87 MATHIEU SEVIGNY (LW)
- 18 years old; 6’0″, 172 pounds
- 22 points with the Drummondville Voltigeurs
- Son of former NHLer Pierre Sevigny. He’s said to be smart player, but not overly productive in the Q as of yet.
#89 SHELDON REMPAL (RW)
- 20 years old; 5’10’, 180 pounds
- 110 points with the Nanaimo Clippers
- Leading goal-scorer of the BCHL.
#92 JARED WILSON (D)
- 21 years old; 6’3″, 196 pounds
- 12 points with RPI (Rensselear Poly. Institute)
#95 SPENCER FOO (RW)
- 22 years old; 6’0″, 180 pounds
- 25 points with Union College, a little bit under a point-per-game.
#96 DENNIS KRAVCHENKO (C)
- 22 years old; 5’9″, 176 pounds
- 28 points for U-Mass Amherst, a little bit under a point-per-game.
The potential stand-outs of this crew are probably Burke, Healey, Bowles, Rempal, Foo and Kravchenko.