The Calgary Flames have begun their 2016-17 National Hockey League season and, thus, training camp is now completely over and done with.
But the Flames had many, many players at their various camps. Where have they gone? What did the Flames do with all of them? In the interest of providing the handful of Austin Carroll super-fans out there with some knowledge about where players like him have gone, here’s our handy snapshot of which Flames prospects have been assigned to which teams.
A good deal of the Flames prospects that you’ve heard of have been assigned to its top American Hockey League affiliate. Notables that you might not know about include former Red Deer Rebel blueliner Kayle Doetzel, fringe NHLer Colby Robak, and Matt Frattin, best known for his time with the Leafs.
There’s like a move or two remaining, but for the most part this group seems fairly set. The blueline is super young, but they have an interesting forward group and two goaltenders that could be effective.
- G Jon Gillies
- G David Rittich
- D Rasmus Andersson
- D Ryan Culkin
- D Kayle Doetzel (AHL contract)
- D Keegan Kanzig
- D Oliver Kylington
- D Kenney Morrison
- D Colby Robak (tryout)
- D Tyler Wotherspoon
- F Mike Angelidis (AHL contract)
- F Matt Bailey (AHL contract)
- F Brandon Bollig
- F Austin Carroll
- F Jamie Devane (AHL contract)
- F Matt Frattin (AHL contract)
- F Garnet Hathaway
- F Mark Jankowski
- F Morgan Klimchuk
- F Ryan Lomberg (AHL contract)
- F Andrew Mangiapane
- F Emile Poirier
- F Daniel Pribyl
- F Hunter Shinkaruk
- F Hunter Smith
- F Linden Vey
Last year, the Flames barely sent anybody to their ECHL team (Ryan Culkin was the lone Thunder representative). This season, they’re starting out with two players with NHL contracts and a handful with AHL deals. Falkovsky’s NHL rights still reside with the Flames for another year due to a fun CBA quirk based on him being drafted as a near 20-year-old.
- G Mason McDonald
- D Roman Dyukov (AHL contract)
- D Stepan Falkovsky (AHL contract)
- F Mikkel Aagaard (AHL contract)
- F Brett Pollock
CANADIAN MAJOR JUNIOR
Out of the six Flames properties in the Canadian Hockey League, four of them are in the WHL. Only Schneider has an NHL contract.
- G Nick Schneider – Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
- G Tyler Parsons – London Knights (OHL)
- D Riley Bruce – North Bay Battalion (OHL)
- F Dillon Dube – Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
- F Matthew Phillips – Victoria Royals (WHL)
- F Eetu Tuulola – Everett Silvertips (WHL)
Mattson is spending a year in the USHL before heading to college in 2017-18.
- F Mitchell Mattson – Bloomington Thunder (USHL)
Harrison is a college senior. Hickey is a junior. Fox is a freshman.
- D Adam Fox – Harvard University Crimson (ECAC)
- D Brandon Hickey – Boston University Terriers (HE)
- F Tim Harrison – Colgate University Raiders (ECAC)
Ollas Mattsson and Rafikov are regulars on their clubs. Karnaukhov was bumped down to the VHL, the KHL’s version of the AHL, while Lindstrom is bouncing between the fourth line of Skelleftea’s pro team and the top six of their junior squad.
- D Adam Ollas Mattsson – Djurgardens IF (SHL)
- D Rushan Rafikov – Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (KHL)
- F Pavel Karnaukhov – Zvezda Chekhov (VHL)
- F Linus Lindstrom – Skelleftea AIK (SuperElit)