If the summer national team camp rosters are any indication, a whole lot of Calgary Flames prospects could be involved at the upcoming World Junior Championship. Six recent Flames draft picks have been named to their national team camp rosters, while another is definitely in the mix for a spot.
Five recent Flames selections will be appearing at the Summer Showcase in Plymouth, Michigan from July 29-Aug. 5. It’s an annual event hosted by USA Hockey that pits four national teams against each other in a friendly tournament setting. The Flames are represented on all four countries participating in the event.
- Canada’s contingent will feature two 2016 picks from the Western Hockey League: second rounder Dillon Dube (who won silver at the World Juniors last year) and sixth rounder Matthew Phillips.
- The Americans will see a returning member of the Flames: 2016 third round pick Adam Fox, who won gold at last year’s World Juniors.
- Sweden’s roster features Linus Lindstrom, Calgary’s 2016 fourth round selection, who’s represented the Tre Kroner at all the big international events thus far except for the World Juniors.
- The Finland roster includes two recent Flames selections: 2016 sixth round pick Eetu Tuulola and 2017 first round pick Juuso Valimaki. The Finns have a mini-camp in Helsinki from July 22-26, then head to Plymouth for the tournament.
Elsewhere, 2017 fourth round selection Adam Ruzicka won’t be part of Slovakia’s summer camp. But given that (a) he was on Slovakia’s World Junior roster last year and (b) traditionally Slovakia’s summer camp is for domestic players and they add North American players closer to the event, he’s probably not in horrible shape. He’s one of several players included on Slovakia’s lengthy alternates list.
To qualify for this year’s World Juniors players have to be born in 1998 or later, which means gold medal winner Tyler Parsons is ineligible to return to the tournament.
Play Fantasy Golf with Draft Kings
- First place wins $1,000,000
- Over $3,000,000 in total prizes
- More than 25,000 entries win money guaranteed
- Only $33 to enter
- Simply select a team of 6 golfers to play
- Must enter by first tee time on Thursday morning