The Calgary Flames made some franchise history with Thursday night’s win over the San Jose Sharks. For the first time since 1990-91, and the first time since the National Hockey League expanded past 21 teams, the Flames have earned points against every other team in the league.
The Flames have earned the following points against the following opponents:
- 7 points: Anaheim
- 5 points: Los Angeles
- 4 points: Arizona, Columbus, Chicago, Detroit, Edmonton, Minnesota, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Pittsburgh, Seattle and Vancouver
- 3 points: Buffalo, Dallas, Philadelphia and Toronto
- 2 points: Boston, Colorado, Florida, Ottawa, San Jose, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Vegas and Winnipeg
- 1 point: Carolina, Montreal and Nashville
The Flames are the first team to fill their proverbial bingo card with points from every team in the 31 team era. However, Tampa Bay and Colorado still have games left against teams who they haven’t earned points against, so they could join Calgary in this club.
The club has accomplished this feat before, doing so in six consecutive seasons between 1985-86 and 1990-91, back when the NHL only had 21 teams. The Flames also earned points against every other NHL club in 1980-81, 1978-79, 1977-78, 1974-75 and 1973-74. They also ran the table in the lockout-shortened 1994-95 season, but only played in-conference games so it doesn’t really count.
Generally-speaking, getting points against every other team is a sign that the team’s had a good season: no other club is able to completely run their show in head-to-head match-ups.
The Flames have 11 games remaining in their 2021-22 regular season.
Looking to up your fantasy hockey game? DailyFaceoff has the tools you need for both daily and season-long fantasy leagues, including a lineup optimizer, daily projections, and a whole lot more. Sign up for the DailyFaceoff tools here.
- Flames recall Juuso Valimaki and Adam Ruzicka from the Stockton Heat
- The devil is in the details for Flames during recent losing streak
- Five key match-ups for the Calgary Flames in April