Post-Game: Flames rally to beat the Jets in a shootout

Photo credit:Terrence Lee/USA Today Sports
Ryan Pike
2 years ago
Monday night featured a really entertaining 65 minutes of hockey between the Calgary Flames and the Winnipeg Jets, the first of three meetings in four nights between these clubs. The Jets got an early lead, but the Flames rallied back and ended up winning in dramatic fashion in a shootout by a 4-3 score.

The rundown

Noah Hanifin took an early penalty and the Jets power play took advantage. Mark Scheifele found Kyle Connor with a really nice cross-zone pass, and Connor went top shelf on Jacob Markstrom’s short side to make it 1-0 Jets.
Mark Giordano took a penalty later on and the Jets took advantage again. Some nice cross-zone passing seemed to get the Flames all crossed-up, and Connor’s one-timer beat Markstrom to give the Jets a 2-0 lead.
Shots were 8-5 Jets and scoring chances 6-3 Flames in the first period.
The Flames got on the board early in the second period, in a pretty wacky manner. They won the opening draw, Chris Tanev collected the puck inside the Flames’ blueline and fired it towards the Jets net. It sailed 122 feet… and eluded Connor Hellebuyck for Tanev’s first goal as a Flame to cut the Winnipeg lead to 2-1.
Shots were 8-6 Flames and scoring chances 9-3 Flames in the second period.
The Flames kept chipping away in the third period and after Markstrom made some nice saves on a Jets power play to kick off the period, the Flames managed to tie things up. Juuso Valimaki took a drop pass from Elias Lindholm, waited for a lane to open, then found Johnny Gaudreau with a super cross-slot pass for a tap-in goal to tie up the game at 2-2.
A little bit later, the Flames grabbed the lead. Andrew Mangiapane flied into the Jets zone but couldn’t bury his chance. But Mikael Backlund and Matthew Tkachuk went into puck retrieval mode, overwhelming the Jets, and Mangiapane buried a rebound off a Noah Hanifin shot to give the visitors a 3-2 edge.
But the Jets wouldn’t go away quietly. The Flames got hemmed in their own end after an icing and Mark Scheifele tipped in a Neal Pionk point shot to tie the game up at 3-3 late in regulation.
Shots were 12-12 and scoring chances 13-10 Flames in the third period.
So off to overtime this game went! Overtime was high event, with excellent scoring chances for each team. But overtime solved nothing and this game went to the shootout. Kyle Connor scored for the Jets, but Sean Monahan and Gaudreau scored for the Flames to give the visitors a 4-3 victory.

Why the Flames won (in a shootout)

Well, they (WON) the extra point because of the skills competition.
But they had a chance at two points because after an opening period where a couple penalties ended up in goals, they got a bit more coordinated at even strength and basically took the game over. They handily out-chanced Winnipeg at even strength and they probably deserved a regulation victory – high-danger scoring chances were 17-4 in favour of the Flames.

Red Warrior

Y’know what? It’s gotta be Tanev! His opening goal sparked the team’s comeback, he played very well defensively, and he was among the team’s leaders in shots.
But there were a lot of positive performances, notably Markstrom, Mangiapane, Gaudreau and Valimaki, among others.

The turning point

The Flames were so, so close to escaping with a regulation win, but their late icing left a tired group out on the ice and the Jets took advantage with game-tying goal. And thus, this one became a three point game.

The numbers

Data via Natural Stat Trick. Percentage stats are 5v5.

This and that

Geoff Ward turned on the line blender in the third period:
This was the first time this season that the Flames failed to score a power play goal.

Up next

The Flames (4-3-1) and the Jets will do this again tomorrow: same Bat-time (6 p.m. MT), same Bat-channel (Sportsnet West)! And then one more time on Thursday for good measure.

Check out these posts...