PL3 on Waivers

November 30 2011 10:46AM

When Blake Comeau was snagged off the waiver wire it meant rookie Paul Byron would have to be demoted. Jay Feaster promised he would make further moves in order to get Byron back up with the parent squad at the time. That move seems to be the waiving and probably demotion of Pierre-Luc Letourneau Leblond.

Thus ends the very brief saga of Feaster's most pointless acquisition to date. Grabbed from the Devils for a 5th round pick this summer, PL3 appeared in just three games for the Flames averaging less than five minutes per night. That's nothing out of the ordinary for Pierre, who managed a career high seven points in junior - the dude has obviously never been around for his ability to actually play the game.

I wasn't certain at the time why the Flames bothered to not only add a talentless pugilist to the roster, but invest an asset (however nominal) in the acquistion...and it still confuses me. The good news, I suppose, is the organization is backing away from that misstep without too much prodding.

As for Byron, I'm actually not as enthused with the kid as others and I'm not sure he's really acquitted himself all that well in his time in the big league (although he's clearly more useful than the guy Feaster's waiving). That said, I have absolutely no problem with the Flames auditioning various kids this season since I consider this season transitional anyways - they might as well let a few rooks get their feet wet so the club can a have a better understanding of what they have in the pro ranks. This also allows guys who stick to find their legs and take their first, few uncertain steps in the big league now, during a year when the Flames aren't going to contend anyways.

#1 xis10ce
November 30 2011, 10:49AM

On one hand... GOOD! On the other, I wantz my 5th rounder back. I know we've discussed this and a 5th rarely comes to be of any value, but that's not the point.

#2 Vintage Flame
November 30 2011, 10:52AM

About time. Definitely a gaffe on the part of Jay. It was one thing to give up a pick for him, but to keep him on the roster at the expense of Byron.. Ludicrous.

#3 Vintage Flame
November 30 2011, 10:54AM
Thus ends the very brief saga of Feaster's most pointless acquisition to date.

For sure Kent.. Though Modin is probably a 1a in terms of this ranking.

#4 jeremywilhelm
November 30 2011, 10:54AM

Byron has shown more grit in his limited icetime than PL3 ever did. What an absolute waste of an asset (5th rounder).

#5 icedawg_42
November 30 2011, 10:59AM

HA I called this the moment Byron was sent down. Maybe we can move him for a 6th round pick..haha effectively moving a 5th for a 6th for no reason :(

on a happy note, I am loving the way Comeau has been out there hitting everything in sight. I am liking that move so far.

#7 icedawg_42
November 30 2011, 11:13AM

Also - notice the new poll.

Hahaha - i think there's an obvious favorite there!

#8 FireOnIce
November 30 2011, 11:30AM

I think New Jersey needs their goon back. Hopefully this is followed up with Byron being called up again, and hopefully Gio not being out too long.

#9 ChinookArch
November 30 2011, 12:23PM

Hopefully, someone claims him so that Flames can pay 1/2 of another team's Goon Salary. What a joke, I can't remember a player acquisition so universally panned by Flames fans. Even Gary Leamen had a few fans believing trading Gilmore was good. (PRESENT COMPANY NOT INCLUDED.

Is Ivanans still playing in Abbotsford? Maybe the Heat can stage a fight between 2 heavyweights on the same team?

#10 Vintage Flame
November 30 2011, 12:31PM

@ChinookArch

If someone is dumb enough to claim him off waivers, they pay his entire salary. Calgary would only be on the hook for half if he was claimed off re-entry waivers... Which won't be happening.

#11 Nolan Moore
November 30 2011, 12:38PM

Can we go through all the "moves" Jay Feaster has made since he's been "GM"?

All in all, i'd give him a C grade. Not good but didnt do anything terribly wrong. i'd give him till end of season, evaluate and if i dont see an improvement, thank him for his time and back the truck up to Jim Nills house.

#12 Graham
November 30 2011, 12:46PM

While waiving PL3 does open up a roster spot, it doesn't open up a spot in the line-up. I suppose Byron could slide into the 4th line and add to the rotation (Morrison, Stajan, etc), but what would be the point?

The Flames could have assigned PL3 to Abbotsford any time, and they chose today. Also, you'd think we would have heard by now if the next step was as simple as calling Byron up. I'm not huge on trade banter, but you'd have to wonder if there's another shoe to drop here.

P.S - Yeah, the PL3 deal made 0 sense from day one. My least favorite Feaster deal thus far. Which is a good sign, as it affects the assets and performance of the hockey team in a very nominal way.

#13 Dick
November 30 2011, 12:58PM

While Feaster had to make the deal for PL3 because he is the GM, I am pretty sure that this was really a deal pushed by Brent. He had this guy in NJ and seemed to think he needed a guy like this on his roster, especially with Ivanans still suffering from a concussion at the time. Not a good idea in the minds of most fans including me, but this one I think hangs on Brent.

#15 Greg
November 30 2011, 01:21PM

If Feaster's mistakes only cost the org a late round pick every year, I'd be pretty happy with that compared to the overly-aggressive blunders Sutter made. To be honest, I think Feaster has done the right things with the cards he's been dealt for the most part thus far. A few minor mistakes, a few minor wins, but overall tracking in the right direction.

#17 icedawg_42
November 30 2011, 01:27PM

Brett Carson assigned to the Heat for conditioning today too. I'd be surprised if he makes it back.

they are definitely short on the back end now though right? Do they stick with the youth movement and call someone up? or are we stuck with Sarchy?

#18 jeremywilhelm
November 30 2011, 01:27PM

@Kent Wilson

He's on a conditioning stint, not waivers. He has to come Back up in 14 days or get waived. Sutter said he wants Carson back by the 10th so he wont be spending the entire 14 days down there.

#19 es123
November 30 2011, 01:35PM

Which "he" are you referring to?

#20 Nolan Moore
November 30 2011, 01:43PM

Uncle Feaster Moves: 1. Got Connie to 'retire'. Questionable but maybe for the best. 2. Trade for Modin. Um waste but was only a 7th Rder, but then again could have used that spot for a kid. 3. Resigned Glencross and gave him a NTC and 4 years. Questionable streaky player, on line to do what he did last year but would never give him that NTC. 4. Resigned Babchuck: One dimensional player with a big contract and a limited NTC. He's been scratched the most of all players and is now on LTI. Bust 5. Trade for the goon PL3: Not even gonna get into it. 6. Trade of Reghr: Butler's impressed more than I thought as has Byron but team is really showing the loss of Reggie plus gave up a 3rd for Kotalik whos' now been waived? 7. Ericsson for Horak: Horak has played way above expectations, but is slowing down. I still see the Rangers winning this one a couple years down the road.

#23 Nolan Moore
November 30 2011, 02:10PM

Have other moves but for some reason they're not posting.

#24 RexLibris
November 30 2011, 02:59PM

Michael Ferland, LW, Brandon, MB. Picked in the 5th round, 133rd overall in 2010.

That was a bad move by Feaster, and perhaps he thought he was getting more that what was in the package, but even if PL3 walks as a free agent on July 1st I imagine some Flames fans will take note of which player was taken by the Devils in the fifth round this year.

#25 Bob
November 30 2011, 03:20PM

I'm hearing this could be a decently deep draft in 2012, so a 5th rounder could have some value.

Kent, what are we sitting with for picks next June (2nd rounder is gone too, I know).

#26 Jim McCormick
November 30 2011, 03:48PM

The move to put LeBlond on waivers to open up a roster spot is a good one.

Yes, I think that Byron showed in the games he played that he deserves a longer look see. Physcially, he plays above his weight class. As for skill, his first goal was a good one, due to his great speed and charging the net. A good start.

But, if this is in fact a transitional season as has been suggested, then instead of solely Paul Byron, we should see a rotation of what is on the farm. That would include Byron, Greg Nemisz, Lance Bouma, Paul Howse and the like on the forward ranks. As for defencemen, with the openings on the roster due to injury, then should we not see Chris Breen, John Negrin along with the already here T.J. Brodie? And what about Leland Irving? With the numbers he has put up this year, he needs a shot at NHL calibre competition over and above that which he has seen at training camps.

#27 RexLibris
November 30 2011, 03:59PM
Bob wrote:

I don't want to step on Kent's toes here, but I thought I would respond.

As far as I can tell Calgary is has traded away a 2nd rounder and a 5th rounder and has an extra 7th rounder from Toronto for the Primeau/Stralman trade. So that gives you a 1st, a 3rd, a 4th, a 6th and two 7ths.

Like I said, as far as I know.

#28 Bob
November 30 2011, 04:08PM

@ RexLibris

Thanks, I had forgotten about the extra 7th rounder. I guess we'll see if we get to add more picks or subtract by draft day.

The talk was of using a 5th rounder for PL3, but I still can't understand giving up our 2nd rounder to get rid of Kotalik when Regehr was already being offered. Why a pick wasn't coming back our way is confusing.

#29 ?
November 30 2011, 04:17PM

What a waste of a 5th round pick

#30 MC Hockey
November 30 2011, 04:33PM
FireOnIce wrote:

Yup and if you know this skit from old Saturday Night Live, one could reply: Hey and 1985 called, it wants its hairstyle back....sorry a silly attempt at mid-work levity. Glad to see the PL3 or P3L experiment is over...don't expect him back with Flames ever I hope. I believe he was picked up to fight but also in hopes he would be Jackman #2 as in surprise with checking and even scoring prowess. No such luck!

#31 Derzie
November 30 2011, 04:53PM

C'mon guys you can't judge a GM so quickly. He inherited a mess and the plan obviously hinges on next year with all the contracts freeing. In the meantime, the Flames are stinkin' the joint out but the lineup is steadily getting younger as we go. For the first time since I've been following the Flames, I'm getting entertained by some young players with moxie and high energy. They make mistakes but they sure make losing much more entertaining. Feaster deserves credit for this. Would Dutter ever admit he made an error and put a guy on waivers? Feaster deserves credit for that too. Admitting mistakes and trying to make them better is admirable.

#32 Clayton
November 30 2011, 04:59PM

5th rounders are not always a bust...

Roman Horak was a 5th Rounder (127th overall) Ryan Miller was a 5th Rounder (138th) Kevin Bieksa... Lee Stempniak James Wisniewski...

Ok...more don't make it then do...the point is...some do. And now the Flames have one less chance to find one that does...

#33 RexLibris
November 30 2011, 06:51PM

@Bob

I believe that Darcy Regier was treating that deal as encompassing two smaller deals within and somehow convinced Feaster that he would have to sweeten the pot to get the Sabres to take back Kotalik. While the deal is treated as a single deal it is my guess that this is what Regier did. THN did an article questioning the same thing, saying that with a body like Regehr moving, taking Kotalik ought to have been a bargaining chip in Feaster's hand, not the other way around.

If anything Feaster's mishandling of that approach should be drawing criticism. He was obviously desperate to sell off Regehr and have the money available to chase Richards, but that desperation not only failed to land him a big free agent but also cost the team a valuable 2nd rounder that might fall in the 38th to 45th range.

#34 T&A4Flames
November 30 2011, 08:37PM
Jim McCormick wrote:

The move to put LeBlond on waivers to open up a roster spot is a good one.

I would expect to see Irving in some games after the deadline if we are out of contention by then.

#35 RKD
November 30 2011, 11:49PM

Nolan Moore: I'm guessing the other moves that aren't posting is Jay Feaster trading Daymond Langkow for Lee Stempniak.

P3L was brought in to replace Ivanans. This was a terrible acquisition by Feaster. Should have kept the 5th round pick, we are trying to improve our farm system.

Also, the deal to acquire Modin was terrible. Modin was injury-prone and terrible. Could have kept a 7th round pick.

Even if 5th and 7th don't seem like much to anyone for the immediate future, they can always be bundled with a roster player for a trade.

#36 RossCreekNation
December 01 2011, 02:05AM

So with Gio hitting IR, and Carson on a conditioning stint, wonder if they call up Jordan Henry or Brenden Mikkelson for a look-see?