Flames All Time Top 10 Draft Picks - #8 Mike Vernon

bookofloob
December 12 2012 11:52AM

I don't know man, it seems like these days there's just not a lot of love for Mike Vernon. Personally, I've never understood the sentiment, I've always been a Mike Vernon guy, but I do think I know where the disdain comes from.

It's Al MacInnis. And well mostly Ken King. I believe fans were miffed back in 2007 when it was announced that Mike Vernon would be the first player to have his jersey number retired by your Calgary Flames since Lanny McDonald. I don't believe the average Flame zealot necessarily felt like the honour was undeserving, more that on the hierarchy of worthy retirings, Vernon was a few pegs down on the totem pole.

And they were right.

I was at the game where Vernon had his number sent to the rafters (Calgary blew the lead in the third, Kristian Huselius sucked, Marty Havlat iced the winner in the extra frame). The pre-game ceremony involved an appearance by the Stanley Cup, followed by an orgasm inducing parade of our favourite Calgary Flames, all within fawning distance, and all without the proper honours that should have by that point been bequeathed upon them. MacInnis was there. So was Theo, and Roberts and Nieuwy too, and then HEY WAIT WHY THE HELL ARE WE PUTTING VERNON'S JERSEY UP THERE FIRST?

Then of course Ken King and the Flames front office went and ruined it all forever by making it impossible to retire jerseys ever again, opting to unveil the "Forever A Flame" program, preferring to half honour Flames greats by borrowing the tradition of the Toronto Maple Leafs (and all the success that comes with that...). Meaning, the only truly retired Flames jerseys ever to be Lanny and Mike Vernon. No Nieuwy. No Chopper. No Theo. No IGGY?!?!

But this is not Mike Vernon's fault, and we should remember who he was. Let's talk about it, because in Mikey's day, Mikey was pretty great.

Mister Calgary

The above snapshot is a picture of Mike Vernon posing for his World Junior Championship hockey card in 1983. I just wanted to post that picture, because, well, look at it.

Mike Vernon will always be remembered as a Calgary Flame (because admit it, you forgot that he even ever played for Florida or San Jose), but beyond that, Mike Vernon is just a Calgarian through and through. A local boy, Vernon excelled in junior hockey right here in Calgary, starring in both the AJHL with the Calgary Canucks, and then in the WHL with something called the Calgary Wranglers (because obviously this is not a city prone to playing up commonly believed stereotypes).

In fact, Vernon crushed it so hard in junior that even when his team was bad, he was good enough to have other teams crave him. Despite winning the MVP, Top Goalie award, and named a League All-Star in 1981-82, his Wranglers managed to rope themselves an early golf season. But not Vernon. Due to junior rules that somehow existed at the time, teams could loan players to the champion team going off to play in the Memorial Cup tournament.

The Portland Winterhawks did this twice, bringing Vernon in in 1982, and also 1983, where Vernon led the 'Hawks to that sweet sip of whatever it is you can drink out of the Cup. When you win it. Which they did.

All this endeared the Calgary boy to the big time Calgary team. The Flames, still new hotness in 1981, wanted to draft a face the fans could get behind. The Cowtown kid was the perfect pick (in the second round, after some guy named Al MacSomething)

Up

Thanks to what is now 2, count 'em 2 lockouts, Miikka Kiprusoff doesn't quite yet own the all time games played and wins records for the Calgary Flames yet, despite being tantalizingly close. Vernon still owns these records, largely because he was a strong line of defense for a strong offensive hockey team. The perfect storm. But all this could have been for not if Vernon hadn't learned to stop playing like garbage and the Flames having a dearth of quality goaltending on the big club.

Mikey moved his way up the ranks in Calgary's system, but stalled when he made it to the AHL, playing for the Flames affiliate in Moncton. Like most things Maritime, success eluded Vernon, winning only 10 games in 41, causing him to spend the next season out of Calgary, splitting his days between Moncton and the even lesser Salt Lake of the IHL, which would be hilarious if he were, say, Andrei Trefilov, and not Calgary's heir apparent to the crease.

But he got his act together in perfect time, as injuries and overall terribleness forced Flames incumbent tenders Reggie Lemelin and Marc "Shakey" D'Amour (a truly great nickname you'd like to have bestowed upon your professional hockey goaltender) out of the lineup in favour of the diminuitive Calgary kid.

After stone walling all those dirty communists from the Soviet Union in an exhibition super series in 1986, the Flames went back to real life, where they were mired in an 11 game losing streak, which, come on, really? This was the 80's, you guys were supposed to be good.

Oh, and they got good. Thanks to Mike Vernon.

Vernon was brought in, he beat the Canucks in overtime in his first game, ending the losing streak, and then went on to lead the team all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals (kinda like Miikka Kiprusoff, but also more like the goalie who beat him in the finals that year, some guy named Patrick Roy, who came in as a rookie, and stunned the hockey world by leading the Habs to the 1986 Stanley Cup before returning to obscurity and never doing anything of note ever again)

Suddenly, the Flames had all the pieces. They had the scoring. They had the toughness. They had the leadership, and the stars, and the defense. Now they had the goaltending.

Mikey Likes It

We as Flames fans tend to overvalue players who took the team to the Stanley Cup and overlook the rest of their body of work, but it's understandable, because a good chunk of the rest of Flames history mostly revolves around flubbed potential or terrible, terrible teams.

So being that Mike Vernon was the goaltender that brought it home in 1989 for Calgary, he automatically goes down in Flames fable as one of the greats (his career numbers with the Flaming C notwithstanding).

And hockey legends are born in the playoffs. Rocket Richard's most famous goals were in the playoffs. The most defining play of Steve Yzerman's career is his OT marker where he shot a puck harder than any puck ever has ever been shot that killed Jon Casey and eliminated the St. Louis Blues. Similarly, hockey folklore dictates that the Calgary Flames, stacked as they were, would have never won the Stanley Cup in 1989 without the stellar puckstopping of Little Mikey Vernon.

And you know what, it's true, okay? Rick Wamsley? Please. Vernon was lights out against the Canucks in the first round as the Flames took time to find their Lanny McDonald, Hakan Loob game. Stan Smyl agrees (some of you might be too young to know what a Stan Smyl is, but that's okay).

This time around, Vernon, who lost to Patrick Roy in Vezina voting, outlasted his Montreal nemesis to win hockey's ultimate prize, the Stanley Cup, going 16-5 in 22 games, allowing only 52 goals against (which was pretty good for the 80's), while notching three pretty impressive shutouts.

All while wearing that awful looking Cooper helmet that I also wore the first couple of years I was a goalie.

Mike Vernon: Justified

Despite being the ultimate Calgary kid, a franchise leading goaltender, a Stanley Cup winner, and the little guy who could like he's Rudy or something, I don't think Vernon gets the respect he deserves from Calgary Flames fans.

Outside of Miikka Kiprusoff, if you look at the men who have suited up for the team and allegedly played goal for them, I just can't understand the sentiment. Especially since he's the best puck stopper the team has ever drafted (and kept) right Trevor Kidd?

Vernon akways came across as aloof and cocky, and gave the impression that he didn't care. I get that, but Miikka Kiprusoff does the exact same thing, except he has a funny Finnish accent, so we think it's adorable and love him forever. And honestly, that kind of calm demeanour is a characteristic you WANT in your goaltender, and it served Vernon well for the better part of his career.

There is an underlying and purely speculative theory that Mike Vernon is mainly the reason why Doug Gilmour left Calgary, as some extra curricular activities between Killer and Vernon's wife were widely reported, although that's never been proved and probably isn'tt true (even though it actually probably is). But hey, Vernon continued to do well in Calgary for a couple of more seasons and Doug Gilmour had to suffer the hell of being a Toronto Maple Leaf, so that all comes out in the wash.

Mike Vernon was overshadowed his whole term in Calgary by Patrick Roy and Grant Fuhr. His goaltending coach, the legendary Glenn Hall once said playing against those guys made him as good as he was. That might be true. But Grant Fuhr was a mediocre goalie with a coke habit on a great team, so I don't know about that. But Fuhr, who faltered for the better part of his career after leaving Edmonton is a Hall of Famer while Vernon, who continued to excel once he went to Detroit and won another Stanley Cup, all while having similar career numbers to Fuhr, remains on the outside looking in.

But at least he's got his retired jersey, which I will argue to the death, is richly deserved.

Also, you'll notice that I never mentioned Mike Vernon's return to Calgary in the early 2000's.  Yup.

Rankings

Player BoL KW VF Justin Ryan
Mike Vernon 8 NR 3 NR 3

Flames Top-10 Picks of All Time

01f20cee6c900dc633fe87a421630f41
The Book of Loob is the Nation's resident expert in flim-flammery and twaddle. An unabashed Flames fan, when BoL is not intellectually bankrupting Flames Nation, he can be seen rooting for Blair Jones, often to excess, at Book of Loob. Follow him on twitter here.
December 12 2012, 11:55AM

As a kid, I remember Vernon being known for a cavernous fivehole near the end of his tenure here. Also, that heartbreaking goal against the Kings in OT in game 7.

#3 vowswithin
December 12 2012, 12:04PM

Hey book, or kent or whoever... Can we have everyone's vote again for this?

#4 Vintage Flame
December 12 2012, 12:08PM

The Mike Krushelnyski goal? There is STILL no way that should have counted in my eyes!!

Interference all the way!

December 12 2012, 12:18PM

Vernon was one of the Flames' better goaltenders, but he was never a great goaltender in the grand scheme of things. Being at the top of a pile of crap (with the exception of the most recent starter, Kipper) doesn't automatically mean you should have your number retired. I grew up a Mike Vernon fan, but I don't think I've ever been fully on the side of "his number should be retired."

Also, I think the Flames will still retire the occasional jersey (e.g. Iginla, maybe Fleury), but the "forever a Flame" thing allows them to honour dudes like MacInnis, who spent a substantial portion of his career on another team and already has his jersey retired there.

#6 negrilcowboy
December 12 2012, 12:19PM

come on guys lighten up verno wasn't too bad. as for shakey d'amour he got the handle in junior from crispy. think it had more to do with off ice than on ice issues.

#7 Vintage Flame
December 12 2012, 12:29PM

Mike Vernon was the only goalie in the NHL to have a winning record against Patrick Roy...

... and he even beat Patty up once!

Case made.. game set match!

#8 Vintage Flame
December 12 2012, 12:31PM

@SmellOfVictory

... the "forever a Flame" thing allows them to honour dudes like MacInnis, who spent a substantial portion of his career on another team and already has his jersey retired there.

Chopper spent more time as a Flame than a Blue. [Just sayin]

December 12 2012, 12:40PM

@vowswithin

Done and done. As you can see, there were some widely divergent views on his inclusion.

#10 suba steve
December 12 2012, 01:30PM

Taken #56 overall in his draft year, how can you not include Vernie in the Flames all time top 10 draft picks?

I was not a huge Vernon fan at the time. I remember one year (mid '80s) wishing the Flames could pull a swap with NYI of Vernon for Hrudy + a draft pick. Then later wishing they could move him to make room for the new Kidd in town. Since then I have pulled my head out of my ass.

For the same reason that I don't criticize the Brett Hull trade, I now hold Vernie in high esteem. They won a Stanley Cup, if they'd kept Hull or traded Vernon, that may not have happened. Never did it before him, and haven't done it since.

#11 Baalzamon
December 12 2012, 01:31PM

"All they needed to do was wait for the Oilers to trade Wayne Gretzky and then there was nowhere to go but up."

I do love reading your articles, BoL. I rarely laugh out loud (except nervously in the middle of a sentence. I do that a lot) but your writing has me snorting and chuckling pretty much all the way through.

Vernon had a very strange time in Detroit. He was Chris Osgood(??)'s backup for the regular season in '96/97(and I think the Red Wings ended up winning 67 games that year, or something ridiculous like that), but for some reason, he played in all 20 games in the playoffs. And pretty much stonewalled everyone everywhere.

December 12 2012, 01:56PM

@suba steve

Im kinda in the "the team made the goalie" school of thought, although I do really respect his work during the cup finals. My exclusion of Vernon is probably unfair.

December 12 2012, 03:50PM
Vintage Flame wrote:

Chopper spent more time as a Flame than a Blue. [Just sayin]

Haha I know, and I fully support his number being retired. Just saying I can kind of see their logic in his case (I don't think St Louis should've retired his jersey, in all honesty, but whatever).

December 12 2012, 05:33PM

All biases aside, I do think it's telling that the goalie afficionado chose not to rank Vernon.

#16 D_B_G
December 12 2012, 07:55PM

I know this isn't really related but I'm getting a new flames jersey and I can't decide which name to get. I want a current player and right now I'm leaning towards Baertschi or Giordano. Any suggestions?

December 12 2012, 08:24PM

@D_B_G

Matt....Stajan......

Seriously, Baertschi or Brodie are good ones. Giordano always as well.

#18 Baalzamon
December 12 2012, 08:40PM

@D_B_G

aside from players Kent mentioned, Glencross is a good one too. Just putting that out there.

Between Baertschi and Giordano, I'd go with Giordano, largely because he's definitely wearing #5 forever, whereas I doubt Baertschi will always be #47 (but you never know)

#19 Vintage Flame
December 12 2012, 10:33PM
D_B_G wrote:

I think it would be presumptuous to get Bärtschi since we don't know what number he is going to have once he's permanent.

Gio would be a good choice since personally I think he's the odds on favorite to be the next captain...

... that being said I'm sure BoL is salivating at you considering a name bar that reads #GoBlairJones!

December 12 2012, 11:36PM
bookofloob wrote:

Actually, I'm the goalie aficionado around here.

You and Justin should take it to fisticuffs.

#21 Karimeeloranta
December 13 2012, 07:22AM

Another great article oh Great Oracle of Hakan, but um: "...like most things Maritime, success eluded Vernon..." Please remember jersey number two in front of him (raise it to the roof) hailed from hearty New Scotland as does some punk named Crosby and the next number one draft pick.. Just sayin.'

#23 FireOnIce
December 13 2012, 12:09PM

Well, he's certainly no Turek, and he's DEFINITELY no Toskalol.