Goalies Through 10 Games

Ryan Pike
October 27 2014 02:50PM

We're an even 10 games into the 2014-15 calendar, and now that we have a break and an even number of games played by each, let's take a quick glimpse at Calgary's two goaltenders - Karri Ramo and Jonas Hiller.

Spookily, they've both played the same number of minutes - 313.

RECORDS

The Flames are 3-2-0 with Jonas Hiller in net and 2-2-1 with Karri Ramo in net.

Hiller's played against Vancouver, St. Louis, Chicago, Winnipeg & Carolina.

Ramo's played against Edmonton, Nashville, Columbus, Tampa Bay & Washington.

GOALS FOR/AGAINST

With Hiller in net, Calgary has allowed 9 goals and scored 14. 5 goals against were at even-strength.

With Ramo in net, Calgary has allowed 12 goals and scored 11. (It's 12 if you count the shootout winner.) 8 goals against were even-strength.

Each goalie has allowed 4 power-play goals by the opposition.

SAVE PERCENTAGES

Hiller: .948 overall, .966 even-strength. Career is .917, last three seasons were .910, .913 and .909.

Ramo: .914 overall, .934 even-strength. Career is .903, last season was .911. Previous seasons were in the KHL.

WHO'S BETTER?

So far, even ignoring the difference in run support, the numbers say Hiller is currently better. But his numbers are insanely far above his usual level, suggesting he's going to crash back down to Earth soon. Ramo through 5 games is basically what Ramo was last season.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Ryan Pike has covered the Calgary Flames since 2010. He's Senior Contributing Editor at FlamesNation, a Senior Writer covering the Flames and the NHL Draft for The Hockey Writers, and a correspondent for the Fischler Report. You can see his hand or the side of his head on TV sometimes.
Avatar
#51 Matty Franchise Jr
October 28 2014, 12:09PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
0
props

Edit: This was supposed to be a link to the Chive, where we can find a picture of Scorch.

Avatar
#52 Baalzamon
October 28 2014, 12:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@piscera.infada

VHL is pro, MHL is junior.

In terms of quality, I'd guess that VHL is about equivalent to Allsvenskan, maybe a bit lower. Nothing special, but still interesting that he's doing better (so far) in the pro league than he ever did in the junior league.

Avatar
#53 Derzie
October 28 2014, 01:02PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
0
props

Sooo, what's that Kessel trade looking like today? What has Nonis learned from the big man? The reason that I dredge it up is that I have little confidence in BB & BT. Outside of Hiller and Raymond (see Nonis, not too bright), the personnel moves have been very worrisome. Consider this comment an 'advanced stat style' look at our forward trajectory. There is a TON to be excited about but most of it is the work of prior management. Proceed with caution.

Avatar
#54 piscera.infada
October 28 2014, 01:22PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

@Baalzamon

So, are we saying something similar to VHL to KHL is like AHL to NHL, or something there abouts? The Euro leagues give me a headache.

Avatar
#55 Baalzamon
October 28 2014, 02:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
piscera.infada wrote:

So, are we saying something similar to VHL to KHL is like AHL to NHL, or something there abouts? The Euro leagues give me a headache.

Something like that, yeah.

Avatar
#56 RedMan
October 28 2014, 02:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props
Kurt wrote:

I don't get why most of us have this need to constantly compare and attack the Oilers. First it was them doing a rebuild at all. Once we joined the party we switch to bashing how long it is taking.

Almost everyone does it. Why?

I constantly hear about how the Oilers are 8 years in and we are 2 years in. This is false. The Oilers started their rebuild in 2010. We started in 2012. Both teams floundered for many years before this. It's not like the Oilers were any good before 2006. So why not just say they've been rebuilding for 25 years. And we've been rebuilding for 30.

The need to bash their rebuild and twist the facts looks pathetic to me. Personally I hope we can do it faster and better than them, but slinging mud is sort of like the two fat ugly chicks arguing over who is fatter and uglier. Its just embarrassing to everyone and really hard to watch.

and nobody is getting tired of your schtick...

Avatar
#57 Kevin R
October 28 2014, 03:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kurt wrote:

I don't get why most of us have this need to constantly compare and attack the Oilers. First it was them doing a rebuild at all. Once we joined the party we switch to bashing how long it is taking.

Almost everyone does it. Why?

I constantly hear about how the Oilers are 8 years in and we are 2 years in. This is false. The Oilers started their rebuild in 2010. We started in 2012. Both teams floundered for many years before this. It's not like the Oilers were any good before 2006. So why not just say they've been rebuilding for 25 years. And we've been rebuilding for 30.

The need to bash their rebuild and twist the facts looks pathetic to me. Personally I hope we can do it faster and better than them, but slinging mud is sort of like the two fat ugly chicks arguing over who is fatter and uglier. Its just embarrassing to everyone and really hard to watch.

Not sure why you directed your comment at me, I never go on Oiler Nation & trash talk. I always post on FN & focus on our team. Could really care less how long they have been rebuilding, as long as we keep beating them even in our early rebuild years, Im happy. But these facts are true: 1/ I have lots of Oiler buddies who were horrible over the years they had their power house. I went to games during the Alberta dynasties & my hate for Oilers is deep & my scars will never heal. Not sure if you were ever around to the true Battle of Alberta & the games that grew the legend of the rivalry, then I understand your apathy. 2/ I really do pick Oilers for my pools for the above stated reasons. 3/If I did go on the Oiler thread & start chirping their team I would expect to get abuse. If you don't like responses from some passionate Flames fans, don't read them.

Avatar
#58 The Last Big Bear
October 28 2014, 04:05PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
3
props
Kurt wrote:

I don't get why most of us have this need to constantly compare and attack the Oilers. First it was them doing a rebuild at all. Once we joined the party we switch to bashing how long it is taking.

Almost everyone does it. Why?

I constantly hear about how the Oilers are 8 years in and we are 2 years in. This is false. The Oilers started their rebuild in 2010. We started in 2012. Both teams floundered for many years before this. It's not like the Oilers were any good before 2006. So why not just say they've been rebuilding for 25 years. And we've been rebuilding for 30.

The need to bash their rebuild and twist the facts looks pathetic to me. Personally I hope we can do it faster and better than them, but slinging mud is sort of like the two fat ugly chicks arguing over who is fatter and uglier. Its just embarrassing to everyone and really hard to watch.

In 2006-2007, the Oilers traded away every veteran player they had for picks and prospects, made 3 first round draft picks in 2007, and in the following season eleven of their top 12 scoring forwards were 25 years old and under.

I don't even know what to say to people who don't consider that a rebuild.

But they clearly wouldn't recognize a rebuild if someone beat them over the head with one.

Avatar
#59 Kurt
October 28 2014, 04:25PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props
The Last Big Bear wrote:

In 2006-2007, the Oilers traded away every veteran player they had for picks and prospects, made 3 first round draft picks in 2007, and in the following season eleven of their top 12 scoring forwards were 25 years old and under.

I don't even know what to say to people who don't consider that a rebuild.

But they clearly wouldn't recognize a rebuild if someone beat them over the head with one.

this is such a tiring discussion

@kevin r - sorry wasn't really replying to you, just the thread in general. I wasn't around in the 80s so my hatred of the Oilers probably doesn't run as deep. I actually think they are going to be a good team, and look forward to Alberta turning into what California is right now in a few years...

@big bear - OK. Well if you ask Oiler fans and mgmt if they thought they were rebuilding in 2007,2008 or 2009 it will be 100% unanimous NO. They tried to 're-tool' and failed miserably. When you are rebuilding you don't offer sheet Dustin Penner, go whale hunting for Dany Heatley, Marian Hossa and others. I realize its fun to say 2006 and that they have been rebuilding for 8 years. I get it. It's a fun line to sit and point and say we are less crappy than them. But it is just false.

Anyways, I don't know how I got pegged as an Oiler fan. I'm not even 1%. I just think it looks pathetic how some Flames fans are about it all.....

Avatar
#60 Kurt
October 28 2014, 04:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
The Last Big Bear wrote:

In 2006-2007, the Oilers traded away every veteran player they had for picks and prospects, made 3 first round draft picks in 2007, and in the following season eleven of their top 12 scoring forwards were 25 years old and under.

I don't even know what to say to people who don't consider that a rebuild.

But they clearly wouldn't recognize a rebuild if someone beat them over the head with one.

BTW - this is completely bunk too. I'm not an Oiler historian but as far as I can recall they traded Chris Pronger & Sergei Samsonov left after 2006. One was a trade demand, the other a UFA walk.

Otherwise they resigned everyone, including crazy overpays for the likes of Shawn Horcoff, Fernando Pisani and Dwayne Roloson. Basically the exact 100% opposite of "trading away every veteran player they had for picks and prospects".

Again, I get its fun to stand on the soapbox and laugh at 8 years, but reality is our rebuilds are a lot closer than anyone around wants to admit.

Avatar
#61 T&A4Flames
October 28 2014, 07:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kurt wrote:

this is such a tiring discussion

@kevin r - sorry wasn't really replying to you, just the thread in general. I wasn't around in the 80s so my hatred of the Oilers probably doesn't run as deep. I actually think they are going to be a good team, and look forward to Alberta turning into what California is right now in a few years...

@big bear - OK. Well if you ask Oiler fans and mgmt if they thought they were rebuilding in 2007,2008 or 2009 it will be 100% unanimous NO. They tried to 're-tool' and failed miserably. When you are rebuilding you don't offer sheet Dustin Penner, go whale hunting for Dany Heatley, Marian Hossa and others. I realize its fun to say 2006 and that they have been rebuilding for 8 years. I get it. It's a fun line to sit and point and say we are less crappy than them. But it is just false.

Anyways, I don't know how I got pegged as an Oiler fan. I'm not even 1%. I just think it looks pathetic how some Flames fans are about it all.....

You got pegged an Oilers fan because your coming across as an Oiler apologist and sympathizer. For the longest time all your comments would start off with, " all my coiler buddies..." You've been commenting for a few years and I have always sensed a pathetic sympathy for your buddies team to a point where, at least a decent sized part of you, cheers for them.

I suspect most comments re: rebuilding starting 8 years ago is just a dramatic #. The rebuild started in the '09-'10 season, as you stated. Most Flames fans here are aware of it. I, like Kevin grew up with the battles of the 80’s and 90’s. Those years create a deep seeded dislike, shall I say, for the team up north. I truly hope it gets back to those levels someday so that people like you are forced to pick a side and let your ire grow.

Comments are closed for this article.