Has Chris Pronger been traded to the Los Angeles Kings for Jack Johnson and the 5th overall draft pick?
I’ve been updating this situation since Andy Strickland first broke the story, and at this point it’s an awfully tangled web, so I thought that it might be a good idea to list the two sides (“yes, the trade happened/is going to happen” and “no trade has not happened/Hockeybuzz is stupid/The Score isn’t a real network”) of the story, and link to any analysis.
Pronger Has Been Traded
- Andy Strickland believed that it happened, then his post was deleted, then a new post appeared that said something might happen but he doesn’t know what. I refuse to link to his current report for obvious reasons.
- Steve Ludzik of The Score says it’s a done deal.
Pronger Has Not Been Traded
- Rich Hammond quotes Kings GM Dean Lombardi, who said, “Rumors not true”.
- Erik Duhatschek quotes Ducks GM Bob Murray, who flatly denied that there was any truth to the rumour.
- Sportsnet contacted Chris Pronger, who also denied the rumour.
- Canwest News Service quotes Kings’ spokesman Jeff Moeller who says, “Nothing to this deal . . . an unfounded rumour.”
- And finally, TSN can’t be bothered to even comment on the rumour.
I Can Add
So, since I like reducing everything to math, here’s how I see it:
Dean Lombardi + Bob Murray + Chris Pronger + Canwest + Sportsnet + TSN >>>>>>> an iffy Andy Strickland + The Score
Given the current situation (you know, the day the Stanley Cup gets awarded) I wouldn’t expect to see Murray and Lombardi acknowledging the deal. On the other hand, I’d expect some verbal dancing; not vehement denials.
In other words, while there is a slight possibility that this trade happens, logic overwhelmingly says that the backtracking reporter and Canada’s #3 sports network are wrong, and everybody involved is right.