The summer of 2016 was one of much change for the Calgary Flames, and nowhere was that more evident than through the sheer amount of organizational turnover over the last few months. The Flames had 19 free agents of various stripes beginning July 1.
With the hockey season almost upon us, let’s check in to see what happened to those 19 UFAs and RFAs.
RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
Group 2 (with matching rights):
- Freddie Hamilton – unsigned
- Sean Monahan – re-signed with Flames with seven-year mega-deal
- Tyler Wotherspoon – re-signed with Flames with one-year “show me” deal
Group 2 (no matching rights):
- Johnny Gaudreau – unsigned
UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
- Niklas Backstrom – signed with HIFK (SM-Liiga)
- Chad Billins – signed with Vancouver on a one-year, two-way deal
- Billins was an RFA after the 2013-14 season but went to Europe. The Flames retained his rights for two seasons, after which he became a UFA.
- Jonas Hiller – signed with EHC Biel (NLA)
- Jakub Nakladal – unsigned (although, according to this Czech interview, there is “something looming“)
- Karri Ramo – unsigned
- Derek Grant – signed with Buffalo on a one-year, two-way deal
Non-Qualified Group 2:
- Kenny Agostino – signed with St. Louis on a one-year deal
- Bill Arnold – unsigned
- Joe Colborne – signed with Colorado on a two-year deal
- Turner Elson – signed with Colorado on a one-year, two-way deal
- Josh Jooris – signed with NY Rangers on a one-year, two-way deal
- Joni Ortio – signed with Skelleftea AIK (SHL)
- Kevin Poulin – unsigned
- Drew Shore – signed with EHC Kloten (NLA)
- Bryce van Brabant – unsigned
PENDING FREE AGENTS THAT WERE TRADED
- David Jones – unsigned
- The Flames traded pending UFA David Jones to Minnesota for pending UFA Niklas Backstrom, who hadn’t played all year, and a sixth round pick. Jones has no contract. Backstrom went back to Europe. The Flames used the pick to take Matt Phillips.
- Jiri Hudler – signed with Dallas on a one-year deal
- Kris Russell – unsigned