There’s been a lot of movement this morning, so it’s worth having a quick glance at exactly what decisions the Calgary Flames have to make prior to Tuesday afternoon’s roster deadline.
The roster this morning
The Flames began the day with 27 players on their full active roster:
- Two goaltenders: David Rittich and Cam Talbot
- Nine defensemen: Rasmus Andersson, Mark Giordano, TJ Brodie, Juuso Valimaki, Travis Hamonic, Michael Stone, Noah Hanifin, Oliver Kylington and Andrew MacDonald
- 16 forwards: Derek Ryan, Mikael Backlund, Johnny Gaudreau, Milan Lucic, Matthew Tkachuk, Tobias Rieder, Sean Monahan, Austin Czarnik, Elias Lindholm, Dillon Dube, Zac Rinaldo, Michael Frolik, Mark Jankowski, Andrew Mangiapane, Alan Quine and Sam Bennett
Zac Rinaldo cleared waivers at 10 a.m. and can be sent outright to the Stockton Heat (which will happen). Alan Quine is currently on waivers, so if/when he clears he’ll be sent to the farm as well. That gets the Flames down to 14 forwards and 25 total bodies.
Juuso Valimaki will be placed on the injury reserve when the Flames file their roster tomorrow, dropping the club down to 24 bodies. For cap reasons – and we’ll get more deeply into the mechanics tomorrow morning – the Flames are very likely going to be rolling with 22 players rather than the limit of 23, as they can save cap space that way for future use. That means that they’ll very likely roll with a roster with two goaltenders, seven defensemen and 13 forwards.
Since he’s waiver exempt, this means that Dillon Dube will likely be assigned to the AHL tomorrow morning. Similarly, the Flames will either (a) announce a contract for Andrew MacDonald and assign Oliver Kylington to the AHL or (b) release MacDonald from his PTO. These three players are the only bodies left in camp that can be taken off the NHL roster without requiring waivers.
The probable opening roster
So here’s how the opening roster probably looks, barring war, insurrection or trades:
- Goalies: David Rittich and Cam Talbot
- Defensemen: Rasmus Andersson, Mark Giordano, TJ Brodie, Travis Hamonic, Michael Stone, Noah Hanifin and one of Oliver Kylington or Andrew MacDonald
- Forwards: Derek Ryan, Mikael Backlund, Johnny Gaudreau, Milan Lucic, Matthew Tkachuk, Tobias Rieder, Sean Monahan, Austin Czarnik, Elias Lindholm, Michael Frolik, Mark Jankowski, Andrew Mangiapane and Sam Bennett
- Injury Reserve: Juuso Valimaki