The Calgary Flames continued preparations for the 2022-23 pre-season schedule on Saturday with a good ol’ fashioned scrimmage! The club split into two groups and wore full game uniforms for an up-tempo session at the Saddledome on Saturday morning.
The red team won 2-1 off goals from Clark Bishop and Sonny Milano. Adam Klapka had the lone goal for the white team.
The two teams were cobbled together from existing line combinations from the first few days of camp.
- Milan Lucic – Kevin Rooney – Brett Ritchie
- Martin Pospisil – Adam Ruzicka – Trevor Lewis
- Jakob Pelletier – Cole Schwindt – Matthew Phillips
- Mitch McLain – Ben Jones – Adam Klapka
- Juuso Valimaki – Michael Stone
- Dennis Gilbert – Nick DeSimone
- Nikita Zadorov – Nicolas Meloche
The forward lines were put into a blender during the second half of the scrimmage.
- Jonathan Huberdeau – Elias Lindholm – Tyler Toffoli
- Dillon Dube – Mikael Backlund – Blake Coleman
- Sonny Milano – Connor Zary – Cody Eakin
- Brett Sutter – Clark Bishop – Walker Duehr
- Connor Mackey – MacKenzie Weegar
- Jeremie Poirier – Colton Poolman
- Noah Hanifin – Rasmus Andersson
Goaltenders Daniel Vladar, Oscar Dansk and Dustin Wolf rotated through the two nets.
Notable players not involved were Andrew Mangiapane (injury), Oliver Kylington (personal), Chris Tanev, Nazem Kadri and Jacob Markstrom. (Tanev is coming off off-season surgery, Kadri played until late June, and Markstrom played 60 games and it makes sense to save his reps for games that count.)
The scrimmage itself was about 40 minutes of on-ice work, with a full 20 minute initial period, followed by a shorter period of four-on-four and another short period of five-on-five.
The Flames will play a pair of pre-season games on Sunday – one in Vancouver and one in Calgary – so expect the lineups in each game to be pretty close to the two groups from Saturday’s scrimmage.