Markstrom makes 15 saves against Canucks for league-leading seventh shutout of 2021–22
Photo credit:Sergei Belski-USA TODAY Sports
By Mike Gould1 year ago
@Jacob Markstrom continues to pile up the shutouts in his second year with the Calgary Flames.
The 31-year-old goaltender stopped all 15 shots he faced on Saturday to help the Flames defeat his former team, the Vancouver Canucks, 1–0 in overtime.
With the victory, Markstrom improved to 16–10–5 on the season with a .924 save percentage, a 2.15 goals-against average, and seven shutouts (no other goaltender in the entire National Hockey League has more than four).
Markstrom entered the 2021–22 season with just eight shutouts in his first 312 NHL games. He set a new career-high in his first Flames season with three shutouts in 43 appearances. In 31 games this year, Markstrom already has seven donuts (and is averaging around one every four games).
Markstrom has now recorded the following shutouts this season:
- Oct. 21 @ Detroit (33 saves)
- Oct. 28 @ Pittsburgh (45 saves)
- Oct. 30 vs. Philadelphia (20 saves)
- Nov. 6 vs. NY Rangers (22 saves)
- Nov. 18 @ Buffalo (27 saves)
- Jan. 26 @ Columbus (23 saves)
- Jan. 29 vs. Vancouver (15 saves)
The Flames improved to 21–13–6 on the season with the victory. Their .600 points percentage through 40 games ranks second in the Pacific Division, behind only the Vegas Golden Knights (.611).
It remains to be seen whether Markstrom will man the pipes once again when the Flames return to action against the Dallas Stars on Feb. 1. Saturday’s game was Markstrom’s seventh consecutive start; backup Dan Vladar has only made 10 appearances this season.
- Report: Flames interested in Canucks’ Miller, Garland
- Johnny Gaudreau should receive significant consideration for the Hart Trophy
- Friedman: Flames “looking into” acquiring Canadiens defenceman Ben Chiarot
Looking to up your fantasy hockey game? DailyFaceoff has the tools you need for both daily and season-long fantasy leagues, including a lineup optimizer, daily projections, and a whole lot more. Sign up for the DailyFaceoff tools here.
Recent articles from Mike Gould